Default Small Hive Beetle (SHB) in KTBH

Hi all,

We successfully transferred our bees from the TBH catcher box to the Observation KTBH 4 days ago.

When transferring the bees I noticed small black bugs in the catcher box and upon inspection of the KTBH today I saw them again. They were crawling on top of the bars, but I'm sure there should be more.

Looking on internet I concluded that they are small hive beetles. Is there any easy solution to get rid of them? I read something about having a strong colony..well my colony is just getting started, not that strong yet I imagine.
    I did also notice some water on the inside of the glass of the observation hive. Does this mean it is too humid? Maybe I can lift the lid tomorrow for a few hours, or does that only invite more pests?

Excited about the bees starting to build comb in our self made KTBH but a bit bummed about the quick pest infestation here in Kenya.

See some pics of our inspection today at the site below. I don't have any pics of the insects. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow. http://www.flickr.com/photos/michisu...7633275229728/

Default Re: Small Hive Beetle (SHB) in KTBH

Is leaving both windows of the observation KTBH open the entire day ok? Or don't the bees like it?

I wanted to take the lid of in the morning and open the windows. Hopefully the beetles don't like the light and leave.

I don't have much experience with beetles but I would make some oil traps to cut the population of the beetles down as a first step. My guess the bees get that little bit of help and get their numbers up and they will chase the beetles off.

I wouldn't leave your observation windows open. Do you have a screened bottom, or is it solid and attached? A screened bottom with a bottom board you can raise and lower is good for controlling small hive beetles. You can place trays of mineral oil under the screen. The bees will chase the beetles through the screen and they will fall into the oil. I actually have an extension to my hives that is four inches deep that is latched on. Inside is diatomaceous earth. The bees chase the beetles through cuts in the hive floor into the extension, and the beetles fall to their doom.

For SHB in a KTBH (and I love seeing someone in Kenya who's actually using a KTBH), I'd simply toss a couple scraps of corrugated cardboard (from a shipping box) in on the floor of the hive. Next time you're in the hive, take those "beetle traps" out, burn them immediately, and replace with new scraps. The bees chase the beetles whenever they see them...then the beetles "discover" the cardboard that they can get into & the bees can't....then you pull it out, full of beetles & beetle eggs; bad day to be a small hive beetle! lol

I love this idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by robherc View Post
    toss a couple scraps of corrugated cardboard (from a shipping box) in on the floor of the hive.
    I have just spotted beetles in my hive and was working on traps. This is one that I will definitely try out.