Thread: VHS questions

Default VHS questions

I'm sure this has been discussed but I couldn't find it in search!

I have a hive that has gone a year with no chemicals...the only possible treatment would have been pulling the queen and disrupting the cycle.

Big hive survived this ugly winter.

Got in it this weekend massive queen cells maybe the biggest I've ever seen. At least ten and one already open!
    Tore open a lot of drone cells and no mites.

Does this hive qualify as VHS?

What are the qualifications?

thanks!

Default Re: VHS questions

It's VSH (Varroa Sensitive Hygiene)...VHS is a videocassette

Anywise, I believe that VSH "qualification" depends on confirming that the bees will actually uncap & remove capped brood that's infested with/killed by varroa larvae. But, I may have it confused with Minnesota Hygienic. Either way, at least one of those two is tested by deep-freezing a circle of brood (usually with liquid Nitrogen), then counting the percentage of killed brood cells that the bees open & clean the dead brood out of.

Hope that helps a little

Default Re: VHS questions

Hives that survive mites have widely varying levels of the VSH trait. Therefore, it is not VSH specifically that allows bees to survive mites, however it is one factor among others.

I recently pulled out a bunch of brood looking for mites, I posted the results here if you're interested: http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...nt-Free-Colony

The other thing to keep in mind is that this early in the year, there may not be many mites, so keep that in mind.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline