Thread: Drone Brood

Default Drone Brood

Hello,

I installed a package into a top bar hive on May 1st. They are starting to build on the 11th bar, and the first 5 bars have capped brood. What I wasn't expecting is the 4th bar is almost entirely drone brood. There are also patches of drone brood on a few of the other bars. This particular comb (mostly drone) is also noticeably thicker than the rest.

I am wondering if when the drone emerges, will the queen keep laying drone in the cone, raising thousands of drones, or will the bees use the comb for another purpose.

also, should I move the comb toward the back before they hatch, so they can use it for honey or just let the bees have it their way and leave the hive the way it is?

Thank you,
    Jason

Default Re: Drone Brood

Welcome to Beesource!

Reports are that bees may raise up to 20% drones, so your numbers sound in line with that. Sometimes drone comb is recycled as honey storage.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

The bees will raise drones to meet their quota and then they will back off and backfill the drone cells. It's good if those drone cells are at the edge of the brood nest so they don't prevent the brood nest from expanding.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Wow, 11 bars in 3 weeks! That is a lot of comb. Is it a small hive or was it a large package?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    The bees will raise drones to meet their quota and then they will back off and backfill the drone cells. It's good if those drone cells are at the edge of the brood nest so they don't prevent the brood nest from expanding.
    So it sounds, from what you are saying, that I could move my drones a bit and insert a bar between them and the normal brood, to give queen more space for "girl" eggs!?
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." 2 years, 4 langs and 2 top bars
    www.4cornersbeekeepers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Thank you, this is good to know

Quote Originally Posted by shannonswyatt View Post
    Wow, 11 bars in 3 weeks! That is a lot of comb. Is it a small hive or was it a large package?
    The hive is about 15 inches on top, 6 inches on the bottom, and 9.5 inches tall (inside dimensions). I don't know if this would be considered large or small. It is just under 4 feet long. It certainly isn't as big as the golden ratio hive I have seen. The package was 3 lbs.

Thank you

Yours sounds very similar to mine other than the top width (the top width of mine is 17.25). I did the math on mine and it came out close to the same size in volume as a medium frame, so yours will be a little smaller than that. Sounds like you have some fantastic comb builders!

My point is that the drones should be at the edge of the brood nest so when they backfill them they are not making a wall of honey in the brood nest. How you do that, you can play by ear.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF