Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Best Robber Screen Design?

Because those hives which i have equipped with robber screens are doing better than the ones without i suspect that robbing is going on even though it is not easily visible.

Quote Originally Posted by jeb532 View Post
    ...Fold it into a "w" shape along the 3" width with 90 degree corners i.e. you'll have four 3/4" legs...Staple it in front of the hive entrance as shown in the photo...http://s561.photobucket.com/user/532...bc1cf.jpg.html
    Fantastic! Thank you!
    Серёжа, Sergey

Quote Originally Posted by imthedude View Post
    ... signs of robbing, though i do suspect it's happening even though i don't see it?
    I place a piece of cardboard on the ground in front of the hive. It is very good "indicator tray" of hive's businesses. You could see some dead larvae, occasional dead bees etc. If hive operates normally - usually all debris removed very quickly. If you see many dead bees on the "indicator tray" - it may be an indication of the problem. I missed the robbing of the hive, which had gravel on the ground and no "indicator tray." I have just a few hives, it is not a problem to have a piece of cardboard in front of the hive.
    Серёжа, Sergey

betterbee has adjustable screened entrances for a real low price like $2, with a couple of thumb tacks just leave them open 3/4 inch square,a small entrance with lots of ventilation. I first got them for moving hives but leave them on all summer, the small entrance limits robbing

So forgive my ignorance, but a robbing screen is used instead of an entrance reducer to allow for better ventilation? What if you are using top entrances (i.e. shims under inner cover and top cover), how do you stop robbing there? If you use top entrances and your screened bottom board is open, could you just use an entrance reducer (solid wood) or would the hive still get too hot?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg View Post
    ...robbing screen is used instead of an entrance reducer to allow for better ventilation?
    I think, robbing screen could be used this way. Entrance reduction is a way of controlling the robbing. If you have a robbing screen, you do not need to use the entrance reducer as an anti0robbing measure. If you concern regarding robbing - you probably should use only one entrance. From another hand, Michael Bush design of the robbing screen has reduced entrances. For the weak hive, I feel it is smart to have a smaller entrance so fewer bees could guard it. I think, the screen design needs to be chosen based on the needs of the hive. I would use screen with reduced entrance for weak, already robbing hive and David LaFerney construction with unrestricted entrance as a prophylactic on healthy hive. I have to admit that my "robbing" experience is limited to one case when I nearly lost the hive - the lesson is: if any suspicious regarding robbing, reduce the entrance to 2 bees first and than think... install screens ...ask on beesource ... whatever...

Actually, my robbed hive survived - the hive was already weak and I gave them some brood and honey (mistake), which attracts the robbers. I was aware of robbers in first place and reduced the entrance but not enough. My bees fight with intruders nearly to the death BUT did not let them into the hive! When I finally noticed the problem and reduced entrance to 2-bees, it essentially stop fighting, but hive is very weak. Wish my really survivor bees quick recovery.
    Серёжа, Sergey

Here in the south robbing is a fact of life every summer. If you have big and small hives in the same location it can be especially bad. I have covered entrances with screen and punched a single pencil hole - one bee - and still had the nuc get robbed to death. The best thing is to have all strong hives of equal strength, and be very careful to not get it started. But that is easier said than done. The robbing screens work - even the one with a full sized entrance. On the other hand this isn't a bad year. Yet.

I am making screens this weekend, thanks for all the help!
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

I've had a new nuc completely robbed out of its stores twice now. The girls have not requeened and I got tired of waiting. I read this thread last Wednesday and saw a glimmer of hope for my predicament. I went out and bought a Minnesota Hygenic Queen, brought her home and immediately built a robbing screen just like David LaFerney's description and picture. The only difference was I closed up the top with the exception of a 3/8 slot at one end for the entrance (like M. Bush's). It took the girls a good while to figure out how to get back in the hive, but they finally got it. Today when I got home, a different hive was orienting. There was a huge cloud of bees at the hive. The nuc with the screen had a lot of bees trying to rob it. I mean a lot and they were frantic to get inside. They were all gathered around the bottom of the hive at the main entrance trying to get in, but the screen would not let them. Inside the screen, guard bees were pacing back and forth on the outside wall of the nuc, but no robbers ever figured out how to get inside. I was amazed and impressed how well this simple idea took care of a problem I wasn't sure could be solved, short of relocating the nuc 3 miles away. My thanks David. I'll probably watch the action again tomorrow. It truly is amazing.
    IMG_0621.jpg

2012-07-10 21.08.50.jpg
    this is the inside of a robber screen that I built for nucs. the piece of wood at the bottom slides into the nuc entrance and holds it in place

2012-07-10 21.09.42.jpg
    This is one on a nuc
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

put some "W" shaped screens on 3 of my hives tonight. i sat and watched for a few minutes, and i'm pretty sure that they were all getting robbed a tiny bit tonight. i think that might explain why one of them, a swarm i caught on july 3rd, hasn't really built up solidly yet. also screened over a few gaps in the fit between deep and bottom board or deep and deep. hopefully this will help these guys defend their space a little better until i can get some real screens made.
    Last edited by imthedude; 07-31-2013 at 09:23 AM. Reason: fixed a couple of misplaced words
    I'm the dude, so that's what you call me.

I've had the robber screen on this nuc for several weeks now, so I'm pretty confident that those bees hanging around on the screen right in front of the entrance are robber/scouts.

Same thing goes for the ones nosing around the vent hole on the other end.

These have made a big difference in the way these small hives are able to build up and I think defend theirselves against hive beetles. If you are fighting off robbers you can't be corralling hive beetles or foraging for food. It seems to me that they just reduce one more source of stress on the hives. Since I have had good luck getting queens mated from nucs that are so equipped my next shop day will be spent making a bunch of itty bitty robber screens like this.

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post

These have made a big difference in the way these small hives are able to build up and I think defend theirselves against hive beetles. If you are fighting off robbers you can't be corralling hive beetles or foraging for food. It seems to me that they just reduce one more source of stress on the hives. Since I have had good luck getting queens mated from nucs that are so equipped my next shop day will be spent making a bunch of itty bitty robber screens like this.
    do you find the top design to be more effective than a small piece of screen taped/stapled around the entrance? i fashioned my quick ones tonight after this model posted above, but if this style is just as effective as a proper wooden one, then i won't spend the time/resources making permanent wooden ones.

I like simplicity of jeb532's design. Anyone else use that type of robber screen and can report on the results?
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 12 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

Quote Originally Posted by shinbone View Post
    I like simplicity of jeb532's design. Anyone else use that type of robber screen and can report on the results?
    i just "installed" 3 of those last night. i'll let you know in a few days how they are doing at keeping out the bad bees.

I have not tried that design so I can't really say - but it seems to conform to the general principle.

What I have tried is something like this -

works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    Since I have had good luck getting queens mated from nucs that are so equipped my next shop day will be spent making a bunch of itty bitty robber screens like this.
    Does that size mesh keep out SHB? Could you use a smaller mesh screen (like window screen) to keep the SHB out and still have adequate ventilation?
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Modem View Post
    Does that size mesh keep out SHB? Could you use a smaller mesh screen (like window screen) to keep the SHB out and still have adequate ventilation?
    No it does not, they go right through it. It just happened to be what I had handy. You might notice that the wooden one just above actually uses window screen which does keep out hive beetles.

My equipment has evolved over time, and If I were building that nuc today I would use window screen over the vent, and also over the 2 3/4 bottom vent hole that you can't see. I don't know if those kinds of measures will keep out any hive beetles, but they might. I think it's worth trying.

Echoing what Slow Modem said, I wonder if a robber screen could use a fine enough mesh to keep wax moth out as well as SHB, without impeding the hive's growth or honey production?
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 12 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

Sure it can. Plenty of air flows through window screen wire. I have bottom boards and inner covers on some hives that use a double layer of window screen to trap SHB. The ventilation is fine, the jury is still out on the SHB trap, but the screen wire works fine as long as you aren't too rough with it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast