Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Default Re: Started fogging today.

"Duh, you gotta take caution and not breath the stuff...."

That's a great recommendation from someone who must be selling the stuff. Always trust those with something financial to gain. Want to buy a house in Detroit? How about some stock in Tokyo Electric? I use MAQ strips quite frequently, so I know how to deal with the fumes products to treat mites can cause, but when a couple of commercial guys went the drip, or quit, root I felt I had to ask. "WWW", thanks for the thoughtful reply I was hoping for.

No harm in asking, your welcome.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

Glock, that is a lot of mites dropping and you still have another round to go. Since your hives had so many mites have you considered doing a fourth treatment just to see what the drop would be?
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by WWW View Post
    Glock, that is a lot of mites dropping and you still have another round to go. Since your hives had so many mites have you considered doing a fourth treatment just to see what the drop would be?
    I have . I must say if I did not treat my hives i'm sure all hell was about bust lose.But I think the OAV is doing good things. And as far as fumes go just put a long cored on the oxalic acid vaporizer and when you treat walk away as easy as that.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

Broke down and treated 4 of my hives with check mite, because I already had some of that. The last two I treated with OA Vapor. I'll treat with OA every week untill the check mite comes off.
    Then I'll do a drop count of the hives next to each other, one treated with check mite, the other with 4 weekly treatements of OA. I'll start a new thread with the results. This one has gotten pretty long.

I found it easy to drive my lawn tractor behind the hives and connect the OA vaporizer to the tractor battery. The electric cord is 15 feet long. I can do 3 hives before moving the tractor.
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by cdevier View Post
    I found it easy to drive my lawn tractor behind the hives and connect the OA vaporizer to the tractor battery. The electric cord is 15 feet long. I can do 3 hives before moving the tractor.
    Charlie

I did the same thing, but rigged a plug to the rear of my 4 wheeler. I park it between two stands and I can do 4 hives before I have to move the 4 wheeler. Beats the heck out of hauling a battery around.

This has really been a great conversation and I've followed it. But why do you (any of you) think that FGMO fogging works great for some but for others like Glock here, not so good? So now we're talking OA Vaporizing. I have loved every minute of my first year of beekeeping. The learning has been fun and at this point nearing the end of season 1 with 2 hives the most important thing I have learned is that I know very little and there is so much to learn.

But I gotta say this pest management thing is frustrating. So many differing opinions and experiences. I realize you gotta figure out what works best for you and that all beekeeping is local. It's too bad there is no consensus yet on treating Varroa. Will there ever be?

Frank, I think a lot of it's perception. If you don't do counts, like I didn't until a few weeks ago, and your bees survive, fogging gets the credit. I started doing counts and discovered my counts were way too high. Depending on your bees, and your enviroment, fogging may keep the mites below the failure threshold. Glock was testing and realized it was not. My big hives were degrading so I started counting. I tried fogging because it's fast, easy and cheap. OA is the next step up from that. And I'll probably do both next year, with one hive left to just OA to see if the fogging is helping. I've only got 6 hives, I can't afford to loss any if I can help it.

Frankthomas - you ask a very interesting question. GLOCK diligently fogged his hives, but still had to treat with oxalic acid, and he reported his results in this thread for everyone's benefit. Yet people reading this very thread still want to fog their hives.

My guess on why people want to fog is because it feels good: you don't put those nasty chemicals in your hive, you are physically doing something against the varroa each week, fogging makes lots of noise and smoke, so it must be doing something. The fogger walks away from the hive feeling good like he just really socked it to the varroa. It all seems so good, how could it not work? The next step is easy at that point; just ignore the fact that no reasonably well done study has shown fogging to work.
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 14 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

what size.. gage ,, wire is used to connect the vaporizer to a 12 volt battery ... 15 ft long?

oldforte --I would think 16 ga. wire would be OK --the glow plugs shouldn't pull that many amps.

Quote Originally Posted by oldforte View Post
    what size.. gage ,, wire is used to connect the vaporizer to a 12 volt battery ... 15 ft long?
    I used 15 gage .
    If you fog I feel as if you should do a alcohol wash come AUG. then you will know .
    For me this year was the year I tried fogging with FGMO and it failed to keep the mite low that's for sure.
    All the hives but one I was fogging where loaded with VARROA. And no hive was showing any sign of PMS or DWV or many mites on the sticky boards , In July mites started to drop over 10 a day on the sticky boards and I did alcohol washes on all hives and all but one had high mite loads. Two have dropped well over 2000 mites and one had well over 3000 mites since I started OAV i'm sure I would of lost a few hives by winter then some in winter.
    But OAV seems to be working all my hives are doing great and all are putting on weight and i'm on my third treatment come Thursday for all my dbl deeps. I have treated my nucs one time so far I plan on treating everything 4 times by mid OCT. I do have one hive{3 deeps} out of 25 that has not dropped any VARROA and treated 1 time and not a one mite has fell to the sticky board now what does that mean I don't know but come spring if she is strong i'm going to breeding with the queen guess we will see next year. Thanks everyone. Anyone want to buy a fogger cheap I have one only used 12 times

16 ga stranded wire works just fine. Try & use the "white" wire as it's easier to see on the ground (you're not tripping over it)...
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

I agree with Shinbone. When I was just a laborer on a farm helping to take care of bees (before I started raising my own) my boss would have us fog religiously, but in retrospect I think it was for his own peace of mind more than for the bees good. Lots of smoke and noise and effort on our behalf. I can't remember having a mite "problem" but we didn't track the data very well. We worked hard to "help" but we failed to use proper scientific methods! I use powdered sugar dusting and I'm not convinced I'm doing much but helping me sleep better at night because I physically did something to help the girls. I think we feel we have to get involved....

But GLOCK is tracking the data and doing the science! Hats off! I absolutely love being in the company of this forum because there is very good banter and lots of opinions being bantered about with very little to NO hurt feelings. In the end, it's about the bees! I admire GLOCK for doing the deed and brandishing his results as well as all the help and warnings given here. Thanks GLOCK! My whole family has been following along

I autopsy every dead bee I find (or kill by accident) to check for pests and disease. After every hive inspection my kids spend an hour peering through the microscope. I still have NO IDEA whether I'm doing any good, or harm, by my pest management attempts. But I'll keep reading and listening and following the lead here. I hope I can add to the knowledge data base soon. Seems like I take a lot more than I give.

Clueless in Georgia Ken

[QUOTE=shinbone;998007]Frankthomas - you ask a very interesting question. GLOCK diligently fogged his hives, but still had to treat with oxalic acid, and he reported his results in this thread for everyone's benefit. Yet people reading this very thread still want to fog their hives.

I don't know about glock but I can say I have not followed the recommended fogging treatment, I fogged my hives weekly but I have never added thymol or any other essential oils to my fogger. And many post ago in this thread I said that I treat with an Oa vaporizer as well as fogging. Someone who has time to track and report their findings (not me) should fog with thymol mixed in and see if the results improve. I vote for Glock lol.

Quote Originally Posted by shinbone View Post
    you don't put those nasty chemicals in your hive
    Come now, mineral oil is a Petroleum distillate - even if it is "ok" for human consumption - In what way is it not a "nasty chemical?"
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by oldforte View Post
    We used regular lamp cord bought at the box stores.
    Doesn't draw many amps.

"Someone who has time to track and report their findings (not me) should fog with thymol mixed in and see if the results improve. "

I fogged a few hives with Thymol FGMO, that did not have supers on, twice a week. The Bees clearly don't like it. Every time I fogged I had a few thousand bees come storming out the hive and fly around the entrance, Some are quite aggressive and butted my vail. It takes 15-20 minutes for them to calm down and re-enter the hive.

Having followed Glocks thread from the beginning, I decided to buy an OA vaporizer and will do my 3rd treatment this weekend. Mites are dropping from all hives, even the ones treated with Thymol FGMO. I am not ready to give up on my fogger yet, but it's definitely on probation.

Stephen

Fogging with FGMO does not work all my hives where loaded with VARROA by the end of JULY .
    Try it will only cost around 100.00 then you know for sure that's why I gave it a try because of all the debate behind fogging now I know it does not work.
    Make sure you do a mite drop test in JULY [alcohol wash]
    Now OAV works great all my hives{25} are doing great going in to fall.
    I'm still treating with OAV but i'm not dropping many mites any more . and my bees are in there last brood cycle of summer and getting ready for winter . There are dead drone pupa in front my hives and the G.rod is coming to a end so before I know it will be time to wrap them up for the year.
    I don't want to say OAV is the best thing I have found to fight VARROA but it is.
    Good luck.