Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Default Re: Started fogging today.

Glock
    Thanks for posting your results. How many boxes do you have on when you are doing the OA Vapor? I am trying with Three boxes on but I never seen a any gas vapor fumes when I lifted the lid

Are you seeing a lot of vapor when you finish?

You have my thanks too, Glock.
    I have been fogging with Thymol mixed in the FGMO for three weeks now. I have not done any checks on mite levels since but based on your posts, I bought a vaporizer and Oxalic powder last night on e-bay.
    Good luck with your bees and I hope this winter is kind to you.

Stephen

Just to let everyone know I have done 2 treatments with oxalic acid vaporizing and i'm still dropping varroa like rain .
    3 hives well over 1000 in 10 days so if your thinking about fogging with just FGMO you will have mite bombs by SEPT.
    Now I had 3 hives that I took the queens out of in end of july and there varroa drops have been real low but it took over a mounth to get these hive queen right again so right now there just starting to have a lot of brood I even had to give a queen to one seemed like they just couldn't make there own . No more fogging for me oxalic acid vaporizing I think it's working great more dead VARROA on my sticky boards then I ever seen.
    GOOD LUCK to all of you .
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 32 hives==== T{OAV}

Glock, how are the fumes when you vaporize? A commercial beekeeper at EAS joked that he's sell me two vaporizers. When I asked him more, he said the fumes will knock you over. I think Randy Oliver said they were pretty nasty in his write-up about oxalic acid. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK View Post
    Just to let everyone know I have done 2 treatments with oxalic acid vaporizing and i'm still dropping varroa like rain. 3 hives well over 1000 in 10 days so if your thinking about fogging with just FGMO you will have mite bombs by SEPT.
    No more fogging for me oxalic acid vaporizing. I think it's working great more dead VARROA on my sticky boards then I ever seen.GOOD LUCK to all of you.
    Great testimony to buy an Oxalic Acid Vaporizer! See my add in the "For Sale" forum!
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

DPB,
    Glock will no doubt be happy to answer your inquiry but if I may step in for a moment to help you I can tell you that yes OA will knock the breath right out of you and very quickly at that. There are ways to avoid breathing the vapors, you can use a cartridge mask with an approved NIOSH filter cartridge rated for organic acids which I have but do not use. The method that I use is to place the vaporizer into the hive then seal the entrance which will keep a majority of the vapor in the hive, the vaporizer has a 15 foot electric cord on it so I stand 15 feet away and upwind from the hives as well. I have been vaporizing my hives for 3 years and have never had any problems with breathing the vapors but I must add do be careful these vapors will leave you coughing for a few seconds, if you feel safer with a mask then by all means use it.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio Zone 6A

Quote Originally Posted by DPBsbees View Post
    Glock, how are the fumes when you vaporize? A commercial beekeeper at EAS joked that he's sell me two vaporizers. When I asked him more, he said the fumes will knock you over.
    Duh, you gotta take caution and not breath the stuff....
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

WWW...you have 3 years experience with OAV...evidently it has been successful...tell us how and how often...how many colonies...any bad results ? how do you measure OA per box.....only in fall season? what brand of vaporizer? did you do a trial outside the hive to determine how long the vapor lasts? car battery or mower?

oldforte,
    Last year I expanded to 6 colonies, all made it through last winter just fine, I apply OA vapor with a Heilyser JB200 vaporizer during the month of October, I apply once a week for three weeks however this year I will start doing four weekly applications for no other reason than I just want to be thorough. I use 1 gram of OA per deep hive body and have never had a bad result. This year I am going into winter with 8 hives and I will be treating them all next month. By the way, since I got back into beekeeping 5 years ago I have not lost a single hive, they have been coming through the winters healthy and vibrant.

Yes I did a number of trials outside the hives when I first set up my DC power source. I opened up a battery charger and by-passed the IC board on the inside so that the transformer put the DC voltage through the amp selector switch and then to the battery cables, this had to be done to make the charger work right for energizing my vaporizer. With the charger set on 2 amps it takes 2 1/2 minuets for the OA to sublimate, and this time is a constant. I like the charger because the time that it takes for the OA to vaporize is always the same, but the timing will vary when using a battery so an outside burn is always a necessity.

I hope this helps, if you have any more questions just let me know.

Thanks Wcubed for the info....I will order the Heilyser and start treatments this fall...your Oct. is probably equal to my Nov. ....by that time I should have only 3/4 mediums on.... the constant charging system you came up with is awesome ...half my colonies are not AC accessible ...I would hope to rig a battery for constant output if possible...will need help on that one. Yes, thank for the help, I may have question later

Quote Originally Posted by WWW View Post
    oldforte,
    Last year I expanded to 6 colonies, all made it through last winter just fine, I apply OA vapor with a Heilyser JB200 vaporizer during the month of October, I apply once a week for three weeks however this year I will start doing four weekly applications for no other reason than I just want to be thorough. I use 1 gram of OA per deep hive body and have never had a bad result. This year I am going into winter with 8 hives and I will be treating them all next month. By the way, since I got back into beekeeping 5 years ago I have not lost a single hive, they have been coming through the winters healthy and vibrant.
    That's great I have 13 hives {dbl deeps} and 13 {dbl} nucs and all are healthy and doing well oxalic acid vaporizing is working for sure. When I vaporizing I put the oxalic acid in the vaporizer hook it up to the battery and wait for it to start to fume and once it starts I put it in the hive put the towel over the front and walk away and wait one min. and then I go back and disconnect the vaporizer from the battery and walk away for like 3 min then I take the towel away and go to the next one I don't really inhale any fumes . I say just start and you will get it very easy. I'm doing the same as you 1 gram per deep.
    I did one of my nucs 1 gram for a dbl nuc and let it hooked up to the battery for 40 sec. and did the rest just like a big hive . I'm going to check the nuc tomorrow and make sure the queen had no problem with it so far i'm happy.

For the past three years I have always vaporized in September to give the bees time to raise two healthy cycles of brood before cold weather set in, however this year I switched to October, the reason I have done this is that I have devised a method of management where I can collect the goldenrod flow through September and did not want to vaporize while my supers were still on.

I have noted that with the use of OA vapor the previous year Varroa ia not a big problem to the hive the next fall and so two healthy brood cycles is not a real necessity. Applying OA in October will allow me to harvest the Goldenrod and still have time to vaporize the hives.

If this year is the first year of using OA and your hives have a large Varroa count then an early intervention starting in late August to early September is advisable to clean up the hives and give them time to raise some healthy brood before winter.

if you leave a board under for 7 days and count the dropped varroa there is a calculator on bee base site that will tell you how many of the little buggers are in the hive and if you need to treat .

Quote Originally Posted by WWW View Post
    the reason I have done this is that I have devised a method of management where I can collect the goldenrod flow through September and did not want to vaporize while my supers were still on.
    Just finished 3rd round, supers going back on.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

OK.. how long after vaporizing can you put the supers back on.... after the vapors disperse...few hours?

They say you can leave supers on but I'm just being cautious. There's not been much coming in here, anyway.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

I did a mite drop count of my strongest hive this weekend. Over 150 in 24 hours. Ordered a vaporizer today. I think I will continue to fog, and restrict my Vaporizer use to 4 weekly treatments early spring and fall next year, but I will treat them all ASAP this year. I don't want them to collapse at this point.. I'll pick two similar hives, side by side and do monthly mite drop counts. One fogged weekly, one not, and see if there is a measurable differnce in the fogged hives mite count. All will get the spring and fall OA treatment but one will not be fogged while all the others will. I'll do mite counts on the two similar hives. If fogging is helping, I'll continue, if it is not, I'll stop fogging and go with a mid summer OA treatment as well.

So---what is the downside to OAV ?

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieS View Post
    So---what is the downside to OAV ?
    It's dangerous. You can drown in FGMO but that's about it... You can drink it, rub it on yourself, etc... OA fumes are dangerous, you have to be careful. OA crystals or powder are dangerous. If you behave yourself and pay attention, I think the benefits far outweight the risk, but make no mistake, there is some risk. OA is nasty stuff.

I intend to light my smoker to keep track of the wind, and be careful.

Mite drop on the 2nd treatment with oxalic acid vaporizing.

that's over night glad I went this way that's only 3 out of 13 I am treating and all but one have a lot o mites dropping

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast