Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Started fogging today.

If your fogging make sure ya fog them well
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 32 hives==== T{OAV}

Dang...somebody call the fire department!

Glock, is there any picturlar time of day in which you have found to be the best to fog.

Quote Originally Posted by JRGN View Post
    Glock, is there any picturlar time of day in which you have found to be the best to fog.
    I like to do it in the evening when all the bees are in the hive.
    I'M going to do a alcohol shake tomorrow and will let every one know how that goes .
    PEACE.

Quote Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
    I'm on the edge of my seat with anticipation.

Thanks for not taking offense Glock! :twothumbsup:
    ok here is the deal I made a shaker but used pint jars and used about 1 cup and 2/3ds of bees

I got the bees of this frame{pic took after I shook the bees off}.Maybe I should of got them off open brood.

I got this many and I shook it many times and hard. Waited 1 hour and did it again.

This has been my strongest hive this year no brood break just fogging it had one drone frame to do a count was 10 out of a 100.

And a shoot of the ground in front of the hive .

So what do ya all think is fogging working I say yes .

When you folks extract, how does that Mineral Oil mix with the honey? Does it get absorbed into the combs and cappings? Or does it stay separated and get slung with the honey? Just wondering...

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Geek View Post
    When you folks extract, how does that Mineral Oil mix with the honey? Does it get absorbed into the combs and cappings? Or does it stay separated and get slung with the honey? Just wondering...
    My honey does not have any FGMO in it at all.

Glock - again thank you for posting your experiences with fogging. The bees do indeed look good. However, your alcohol wash to me shows that treatment for Varroa is needed. Perhaps not as heavy a treatment as if you had not been fogging...
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Glock, do you fog them in their entrance (or from the top with the cover off)? How long (10-15 seconds)?

However, your alcohol wash to me shows that treatment for Varroa is needed.
    Andrew, I definitely bow to your experience, but Glock used a cup and 2/3 of bees. 3.5 times the standard 1/2 cup sample. This would give him a ~750 bee sample. I count 12, maybe 13 mites. Or, 4-5 mites per 300 bees, well below the 10-12 threshold mite threshold that brushy mtn recommends for fall treatment.

ok here is the deal I made a shaker but used pint jars and used about 1 cup and 2/3ds of bees
    I apologize if I'm way off here.
    Last edited by JStinson; 08-11-2013 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Numbers were way off.
    Try it. What could happen?

Thanks GLOCK this is great information we all can use, you have given me the confidence to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by JStinson View Post
    Andrew, I definitely bow to your experience, but Glock used a cup and 2/3 of bees. 3.5 times the standard 1/2 cup sample. This would give him a ~750 bee sample. I count 12, maybe 13 mites. Or, 4-5 mites per 300 bees, well below the 10-12 threshold mite threshold that brushy mtn recommends for fall treatment.

I apologize if I'm way off here.
    that's what I thought I think i'm safe but if i'm not let me know.

I stand corrected on the larger sample - I missed it - was wrong on the math - my apologies to Glock.

However, there is a problem when using larger sample sizes in that the mites may not all wash out of the sample. I haven't (yet) studied Glock's shaker, but I'm going into it thinking a smaller sample size would yield more accurate results.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Ya I messed up when I was in the bee yard I could not remember how many bees I should use so I put 3 scoops with a cup in the jar guessing to many. i'll do another shake on tues . or wed.
    Sorry guys but I did shake the crap out of them and then I let it set for a hour and shook it again and it was the same .
    So next time bigger jars{qt} and not as many bee's .
    But again no virus and all hives are healthy.
    Hopping for the best winter is coming and soon the golden rod will be in bloom.

Randy Oliver cited a study that developed lots of math to show the predictive validity of using 300 bees in the wash. Personally, I'd shoot for 300 bees and the math is made easy if you do the same. There were specific recommendations as to just where to get the sample as well (looking to sample nurse bees, not foragers, bees in brood chamber have more mites).
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Does prolonged breathing the fog have any effect on the beekeepers lungs?

AR - no noticeable effect on me or the bees , during fogging or afterwards. I do not think that there will be any long term effects either. The FGMO is a highly purified oil - probably not nearly as bad for you as cooking an iron skillet of bacon on a hot stove.
    Charlie

probably not nearly as bad for you as cooking an iron skillet of bacon on a hot stove.
    But much less delicious.
    Try it. What could happen?

GLOCK,

First of all, that is one impressive looking frame of capped brood. I wish I could find frames like that in my hives.

It is my recolleciton that you are using various varroa control methods on your hives. Could you summarize what methods, if any, beside FMGO fogging that was used on the hive you tested for varroa?
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 14 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

Quote Originally Posted by shinbone View Post
    GLOCK,

First of all, that is one impressive looking frame of capped brood. I wish I could find frames like that in my hives.

It is my recolleciton that you are using various varroa control methods on your hives. Could you summarize what methods, if any, beside FMGO fogging that was used on the hive you tested for varroa?
    Yes I used one drone frame {let them fill it out 1 time } to do a mite count and SBB now this hive has some 4.9 cell and some 5.1 I have most of my hives on 4.9 but that one is still mixed .
    Next year if all go's well with fogging i'm going to try bigger cell on one hive and see if there is a difference .

Lburou

Have you read this thread?
    Every thing you mentioned I know but thank you.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast