Hybrid View

Default Started fogging today.

Well i started fogging today never did it before i did all 10 hives in no time[15 min. tops} .
    I did a mite count with sticky boards before and after the before was real low in all hives{no more then 5 in 48 hours}but it is only the start of the year here.
    The after {3 hours} even lower then before I'm going to do a count in 48 hours and see what they look like then.
    I'll bee fogging every 7 to 10 days till fall and i'll let besource know how it goes . I'll give it a year with these 10 hives then we'll know if fogging with FGMO is good for varroa or not .
    I did not kill any bees with fogging{and i did them real well } they where calm with in 5 mins. after theywhere fogged.
    I'm going to do a alcohol wash with nurse bees as soon things start booming here.
    I will update everytime i fog . Hope it works
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

Default Re: Started fooging today.

I am definately interested in seeing how it works for you. 2 questions. Did you add anything to the FGMO like thyme oil and do you remove the honey supers before you fog the hive?

I will be following this thread, thank you.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by dingo983 View Post
    Did you add anything to the FGMO like thyme oil and do you remove the honey supers before you fog the hive?
    NO its straight FGMO i want to see how that works before i add any thing and yes i do have honey supers on some of my hives.
    Again i have low mite counts right now. things are heating up we will see how it goes this year.

Well this is my second time fogging and all went well the bees don't really seem to mind plus the whole bee yard is calm with in 5 min. after i'm done and no stings as I stood 3 foot away watching them so they where not that upset or they would of let me know.
    I have 5 hives that are crazy big right now and growing if I can keep them from swarming I should get a good honey crop.
    My mite count was around 5 mites in 24 hours on sticky boards and some even lower now i'll do a mite count in 24 hours and see.
    I don't have any crawlers any where and have not seen many mites in the drone brood so I think my mite count is low every hive seems happy and growing some faster then others but growing.

Hope you stick with it, this will be interesting to follow.

If you want to really add some depth to your trial, having a couple of control hives that are not fogged at all would give you a nice baseline comparison so you could measure the effectiveness of the fogging.

To further explain ... if the colonies happen to be doing well at the end of the year you won't "really" know if the fogging had anything to do with it. There could always be the possibility that they would be in the same shape if you had fogged or not. You would need some untreated colonies in the same area to be able to determine any impact the fogging may have had. If all you are concerned about is survival rates then a control group is not necessary, they will either live or die. But if you want an accurate answer on fogging I think some untreated colonies to measure against would be very valuable information.
    Last edited by Mike Gillmore; 05-26-2013 at 06:54 AM.
    To everything there is a season....

I am going to fog this year too. Fatbeeman has been doing it for a long time hasn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    Hope you stick with it, this will be interesting to follow.

If you want to really add some depth to your trial, having a couple of control hives that are not fogged at all would give you a nice baseline comparison so you could measure the effectiveness of the fogging.

To further explain ... if the colonies happen to be doing well at the end of the year you won't "really" know if the fogging had anything to do with it. There could always be the possibility that they would be in the same shape if you had fogged or not. You would need some untreated colonies in the same area to be able to determine any impact the fogging may have had. If all you are concerned about is survival rates then a control group is not necessary, they will either live or die. But if you want an accurate answer on fogging I think some untreated colonies to measure against would be very valuable information.
    Last year I had 5 strong hives just crumble in july it was very sad to watch being a hobbyist {I hate to see crawlers} I wanted to be treatment free but as I researched varroa mite I know ya have to try and to let the bees get strong and fight back and with brood breaks /drone frames/ and FGMO fogging/ and most of my hives are on 4.9 cell in the brood cambers might help let them get strong and be able to fight back we will see.
    I'm going to do some splits here real soon and I think i'll make a starter cell hive today to make some new queens.
    I love my bees and apiary and I know i'll beat the mite one day {hopefully this year} this past winter was a bad one here and I have 10 good hives this spring so I must be doing something right.
    Most of my hives are on 4.9 cell in the brood cambers so i'll see how that works out.
    Next year i'll do the control hives thing but for this year I want to get the mite in control .
    One of many bee keeping goals is to never by bees to make my own and this is the first year I didn't buy bees in 4 years of beekeeping.

Default Re: Started fogging today.

I would like to see someone cut open some drone cell or, if possible, get some bees with mites on them, put them in a container or mason jar and fog it to see the affects on the mites. I will try this after I save my last hive. Just found my queen stumbling around bare plastic foundation.
    Thanks again for keeping this thread going. I always got the impression people are quick to jump on the anti-fogging band wagon without giving it a valid chance. People like yourself who continue to test it may find more efficient ways of utilizing it or additions to the oil to make it more effective.

Glock,
    When you did the brood break on your hives did you let the hives requeen or did you cut the queen cells?
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by WWW View Post
    Glock,
    When you did the brood break on your hives did you let the hives requeen or did you cut the queen cells?
    I let them re queen and out of 9 that I pulled the queens out of 7 have stated laying again with new queens and the other 2 i'm guessing still have virgin queens .
    It takes around 35 days till I seen real eggs production fogging seems to let my bees get strong all my hives are doing well and i'm not getting many mites at all this last fogging I got less then 10 for 10 hives and that is just great.

fogging seems to let my bees get strong all my hives are doing well and i'm not getting many mites at all this last fogging I got less then 10 for 10 hives and that is just great.
    From your original post:

I did a mite count with sticky boards before and after the before was real low in all hives{no more then 5 in 48 hours}but it is only the start of the year here.
    So, your total mite count went from 5 per hive to 1 per hive. This even though brood rearing increased. I'm impressed so far. Thanks for this thread!
    Try it. What could happen?

Anyone ever have the fogger coil clog up....impossible to clean. After fogging do you have to clean out the reservoir/coil?

Thanks GLOCK this is great information we all can use, you have given me the confidence to give it a try.

if you leave a board under for 7 days and count the dropped varroa there is a calculator on bee base site that will tell you how many of the little buggers are in the hive and if you need to treat .

what size.. gage ,, wire is used to connect the vaporizer to a 12 volt battery ... 15 ft long?

oldforte --I would think 16 ga. wire would be OK --the glow plugs shouldn't pull that many amps.

Quote Originally Posted by oldforte View Post
    what size.. gage ,, wire is used to connect the vaporizer to a 12 volt battery ... 15 ft long?
    I used 15 gage .
    If you fog I feel as if you should do a alcohol wash come AUG. then you will know .
    For me this year was the year I tried fogging with FGMO and it failed to keep the mite low that's for sure.
    All the hives but one I was fogging where loaded with VARROA. And no hive was showing any sign of PMS or DWV or many mites on the sticky boards , In July mites started to drop over 10 a day on the sticky boards and I did alcohol washes on all hives and all but one had high mite loads. Two have dropped well over 2000 mites and one had well over 3000 mites since I started OAV i'm sure I would of lost a few hives by winter then some in winter.
    But OAV seems to be working all my hives are doing great and all are putting on weight and i'm on my third treatment come Thursday for all my dbl deeps. I have treated my nucs one time so far I plan on treating everything 4 times by mid OCT. I do have one hive{3 deeps} out of 25 that has not dropped any VARROA and treated 1 time and not a one mite has fell to the sticky board now what does that mean I don't know but come spring if she is strong i'm going to breeding with the queen guess we will see next year. Thanks everyone. Anyone want to buy a fogger cheap I have one only used 12 times

Quote Originally Posted by oldforte View Post
    We used regular lamp cord bought at the box stores.
    Doesn't draw many amps.