Thread: Cage fight!

Default Cage fight!

So I made up some overwintering nucs and brought the nucs back to my home yard. One nuc contained the mother hive's queen. She was unmarked and was a supersedure from a previously yellow marked queen from May. After a day I added new caged queens. All were marked in green. After about a week I checked to make sure all was well. In one of the nucs I noticed a couple bees dead in cage. I assumed they were just workers but on closer inspection one of the bees was a queen! She had a yellow mark on her thorax. On inspection of the nuc the green marked queen was happily moving about the comb laying eggs. So the queen I thought was superseded managed to stay in the mother hive from May to July. Then by chance she got moved while I was making nucs. I had no reason to look for her. Then she went to the queen cage and fought a battle in the cage with the other queen?? And lost. Just seems crazy! Any one else ever come across this? Beekeeping is never boring.

Default Re: Cage fight!

I don't think the queens were in a cage fight, but since the other queen was there, I'm thinking they didn't feed the queen in the cage... But your right, it's never dull! Good luck with the rest of the queens.

Default Re: Cage fight!

That's the thing. The queen that was in the cage was marked in green. She left the cage and is now laying. Now there is a dead queen in the cage that is marked yellow. How did she get there?