Default Bees in swarm trap

I am curious what I should do with a swarm that moved into a Kelly paper mache trap that I left laying on an outside table. They have been there for at least 3 weeks now and I can see the new comb thru the entrance. I really need to move it from its current location. I have not opened it yet and was hoping to get a few pointers on how and when to hive them. Should I treat them as a cutout and remove them now or wait until they hatch brood? It looks like a small swarm so would you use a nuc box or full hive body? John

Default Re: Bees in swarm trap

First off, are they carrying in pollen? They probably are if they have been there for 3 weeks. That is a good indication if they are. I would go ahead and treat it like a cut-out and rubber band the comb into Frames. You could put them in a Nuc depending on how many frames that you end up with. I would let that be the determining factor whether you put them in a Nuc or larger hive body. It would probably be a good Idea to feed them to get them built up sooner. If they don't need the feed they will ignore, but if they need it, it will be there handy for them. Keep us posted on how they do.

Default Re: Bees in swarm trap

I would have shook them into a hive as soon as they moved in. Cutting out new comb full of honey can be a mess. When you do the cutout I would only save the comb with brood on it.