Post Africanized Bees, Gamma Rays, Sinkholes... Oh my!

I might be stepping on some toes, but I wanted to share my experiences and thoughts on Africanized bees in Southern California.

Link to my Blog ---> http://www.beerescuellc.com/2013/05/...ed-bees-today/

With all of the things in the world that we could be worrying about, how high up is the Africanized bee problem?

The Past

Having worked through the Africanized bees scare I can tell you that there was a time when the honey bees in San Diego and Orange County were ferociously wild and aggressive (stories include Jeff and John closing off an AM/PM Station while being attacked by 100,000 crazed bees – then removing 200lbs of honey), but that was then…

So, how about now?

If Africanized bees were important to us in a positive way, right now we’d be asking the question, “Where did they go?!” That’s right – after all of the hype, scary stories, and news reports about attacks on humans and animals (they do still happen, although very rarely), my opinion is that what we understood to be categorized as Africanized “Killer Bees” are now encountered so infrequently, that I think it is safe to lower the Alert Level from “DEFCON 2″ to “All Clear”. Some may say that almost all of the bees in Southern California now possess the Africanized genes, and I would have to agree with them, but as far as classifying them based on their behavior – I’d say that we are now dealing with a thinned-out hybridized strain that has lost A LOT of its aggression.

How friendly are these hybrid bees?

Here is my chance to convince you, so how do I plan on proving to you that the labeling of Africanized bees is now just an excuse for Pest Control companies to kill bees? Evidence: photographic and video. Follow our Instagram and Twitter feeds, like our Facebook page, or watch some entertaining videos on our YouTube Channel where you will see that we’ve become so comfortable with the bees in Southern California that we rarely wear beekeeper suits. Are we crazy? Perhaps, but the bees in San Diego, Los Angeles, and Orange County are docile enough that we are confident in approaching and working with honey bee hives of unknown origin without the typical protection. Don’t believe me? See for yourself, and keep in mind there are still groups and individuals that are actually working towards enacting the statutory KILLING of all beehives of unknown origin (ask yourself; what’s their motivation?). Let’s spread the news that our honey bees – professionally kept or otherwise – are a vital and precious resource to our agriculture and our own welfare, and that the extermination of bee hives is egregious and shouldn’t be allowable.
    Saving Bees with Your Help.
    Bee Rescue LLC

Default Re: Africanized Bees, Gamma Rays, Sinkholes... Oh my!

You aren't stepping on my toes, but feel free to send me a PM. We just went through (and are still going through) this battle in Florida. Beekeepers were not "allowed" to harvest bees due to this scare. All bees had to be destroyed. They are turning things around, but not without complications!!! At least the Pest Control companies no longer have the 'full' reigns!! It is an ongoing battle. I will stay 'mum' beyond this public post. I know that "Africanized" bees are real, but as you say, just HOW real? Good luck!
    You have a battle ahead...Stay on top of it!

Don't fool yourself thinking just cuz you don't need to wear a suit everything is fine and dandy. It just takes that one time to forget about your personal safety and you walk up to the wrong hive. That being said, Africanized bees may not be an issue but they still contribute to some gene flow in the area so they are not gone completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Bees In Miami View Post
    We just went through (and are still going through) this battle in Florida. Beekeepers were not "allowed" to harvest bees due to this scare. All bees had to be destroyed.
    I've heard about this. The do-gooders think they are making the right move, but killing off a potential bee workforce is silly (IMHO). And apparently even those that remove bees alive in Florida still need to register and be licensed by the Board of Structural Pest Control. I'd hate for them to miss out on licensing revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    Don't fool yourself thinking just cuz you don't need to wear a suit everything is fine and dandy. It just takes that one time to forget about your personal safety and you walk up to the wrong hive. That being said, Africanized bees may not be an issue but they still contribute to some gene flow in the area so they are not gone completely.
    I know an aggressive hive when I see one, and suit up when appropriate, but we're only talking about 10% of the time that that happens.

And perhaps I'm just not well enough informed, but what's bad about keeping Africanized hives besides the fact that MORE bees are trying to kill you than normal? As smug as it sounds, I think beekeeping isn't the best profession or hobby for individuals that don't want to be stung by honey bees.

I'm not what you'd call a tree hugger, but I love bees and see no point in the immediate destruction of hives when they can be re-queen'd or given to someone that doesn't mind keeping them (send 'em my way, folks!). It's the interbreeding of these feral hives with local Europeans that have calmed them down so much, so maybe it only gets safer from here...?
    Saving Bees with Your Help.
    Bee Rescue LLC