Thread: Crimson clover

Hybrid View

Default Crimson clover

Does anybody have any experience with spring planted Crimson Clover? How soon does it flower?
    Dave

Default Re: Crimson clover

Dave,
    I've never planted any in the spring so I really don't have any idea how it would do. But Crimson Clover is a cool season annual, so the summer months could be hard on it. We have planted a lot of it in the fall, around the same time wheat is planted, and it comes up and does great the next spring. Bees love a big patch of crimson clover and it makes good honey. The only problem is if spring is really wet it might rain a lot of the days the clover is in bloom.

I planted a fall crop, and am disapointed. it flowerd fine, but apperently its a one off per year deal. the blooms lasted about 2 weeks and there done. white clover is more expensive seed, but blooms better.

It does only bloom once per year and as a pure honey plant white clover is better. But crimson usually starts a little earlier and does produce a fine honey. Most of the people I know who plant it use it as a cover crop, and most never gets to bloom. We planted a couple of small patches just to let the bees have it, and it can reseed itself.

I've planted both white and red clover and my bees prefer the white. As others mentioned white blooms longer and does better the second year around. I will be picking up 4 lbs. from Ag Coop today to rid my back yard of the last area that was a lawn last year, this year I will be planting clover and zinnia in a 40' by 80' area.
    Jack Moore ~ Sticky Bear Apiary
    Zone 7a ~ Elev: 4840ft. ~ https://www.facebook.com/StickyBearApiary

I have about an acre of it but the cool & wet spring kept the bees inside while it bloomed. Luckily we have about 100 acres of pasture full of white clover

We have at least 10 acres of White Clover, Sainfolin, & Wild flower plantings. I have been using Buckwheat as a cover crop on the fallow areas. It gets too tall tyo use in the garden and the bees only work it in the morning. We are too cold to plant the Crimson in the fall. I am going to plant the Crimson in the next couple of days, and I will figure out how many days from planting to bloom. One thing I did find out is the seed is mature 30 days after bloom. They use it in Minesota as a spring planted cover crop, but they do not say if it blooms or not when planted in the spring.
    Dave

Dave,
    Have you ever had any sanfoin honey. I read an article about the plant in one of the beekeeping magazines and it sounded like a promising honey plant.

We had some last year, but it was not pure. What I have been told is that Sainfoin is light in color and premium quality. The bees sure like it. Our bee pasture is diverse in makeup. I avoid monoculture.
    Dave.

Planted the Crimson Clover on 5/23. As of today, 5/28, it is already emerging.
    Dave