Thread: Swarm too high

Default Swarm too high

Just watched a hive swarm 40' up in a tree.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...H%20swarms.mov
    Would it do any good to put out a bait hive?
    Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company. -Mark Twain

Default Re: Swarm too high

> Would it do any good to put out a bait hive?

What have you got to lose by setting out a swarm trap?

However, the best time to set out swarm traps is just before swarm season ....
    Graham
    -- The real problem is not precise language, it's clear language. - Richard Feynman

Look up what a throw ball is. If they are on good sized limb pull up frame of open brood and bees will climb on and lower them down a few at time depending on how fast they get on sometimes they jump on sometimes they don't u wanna get it close

Swarm traps are out. I had to retrieve them from their remote locations. I understood that they'll prefer to move farther than that. I'm surrounded by big woods. No shortage of hollow logs.

OK, I'll bite ...

What is the difference between a swarm trap and a bait hive?
    Graham
    -- The real problem is not precise language, it's clear language. - Richard Feynman

AFAIK, same thing.

I'm surprized this one swarmed. At first sign of queen cells, I pulled the queen and a couple frames of brood out.

Later, I took all but 2-3 cells and used them for queenless colonies.

I hope you have better luck than me 3. I had a swarm to come out about 3:00 yesterday evening. A friend of mine came over. I screwed a 5 gal bucket to a 20' piece of 2" pvc pipe. Got up in the cedar with an extension ladder. got the bucket under the swarm and hit the limb with the bucket. Almost half of the swarm went in the bucket. We got a lid on it and hived em. But, in an hour, they were back up there with the rest of them. I have had 2 swarm traps out since April 1st. The swarm stayed in the tree all night. This morning, I was getting a lot of activity at one of the traps. I started to try to cut the top out of the cedar but thought they would go to the traps. I have been out there all day. Came in a few minutes ago to eat. Went back out, no bees I really thought with that many scout bees around the trap that my chances were better that way than cutting the top out of the tree and the bees crashing to the ground. Live & learn!! That's my motto.

We had a speaker at one of our meetings tell how he used an arrow with sting attached to shoot the string over the limb. He then pulled a small rope over the limb and pulled a nuc box up to the swarm.
    I have shot the limb off with a shot gun using slugs. I got a swarm last year and one a week ago with this technique. It is not worth falling off a ladder to get a swarm.
    Try using the extension pole to a tree trimmer with a 5 gal bucket attached.

OK. Got the bucket tied to the extension pole. If I stand on tiptoe, it's only 25' below the cluster.

I read on this forum about an extension pole that the linemen use to throw switches with on top of poles. they test them all the time for continuity, when they fail the chuck em. So I ask a friend of mines son that works for the power co. about one , couple days later I had it. It is 48ft extended, 8 sections 6ft long with push button locks telescoped out, fiberglass. Even gave me the attachments for the end, a curved saw blade and a few hooks for the switching. Now I have to take one of the hooks an fabricate a plate on it to put a bucket on the end. Beesource is great. N3SKI

>Would it do any good to put out a bait hive?

Yes. Even better if you have some lemongrass essential oil (not more than 4 drops) and some QMP (some "queen juice" or some PsuedoQueen (just 1/4 of one of the little plastic tubes). Old brood comb doesn't hurt any either...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

LGO- Check
    QMP- Check
    Brood Comb- Check

They're not showing any interest. But, with any luck, maybe I can get some from the commercial guy's down the road.

Is your swarm still in the tree CG3? Just curious, hoping they'll go to your swarm trap.

They took off this afternoon. Asi es la vida.

Sorry to hear that . Same thing happened to my best hive also. About the same time yours came out. I guess the hollow trees are still a favorite over our swarm traps. I had scouts all over my traps, but for some reason they didn't like it as well as somewhere else.

Exclamation Re: Swarm too high

Take a look at "JPtheBeeman" videos on YouTube.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JPthebeeman?feature=watch

Besides his very instructional cutout videos, take a look at his "swarm catching" videos. For a couple of the new ones, he doesn't even hesitate to go after swarms that are up more than 20'. He sets up a nuc/swarm box on a stepladder, throws a line over the tree branch and shakes it to break the cluster loose. With the air full of bees, they find the box, cluster up and go in.

It is more than amazing and safer than the crazy tree climbs I have done. Don't know what if any lure, LGO, or what he uses but they just just go for the box.

JP, if you are online, what's the trick? Or, are you just the Bee Whisperer?