Default Paper wasps making nests in gable roof of tbh - advice?

Our KTBH's must be prime real estate for more than just our resident Carny's!

Every time I open the gabled lid of our tbh's (we have 2 hives), there is a small, just forming paper wasp nest with a queen overseeing it. Of course, she doesn't get a second chance. Smoosh-ville is her new home. The roof framing is made out of cedar (as are the bars themselves) covered with tin. Apparently, I've got a gap somewhere that the wasps can get into the crack. That's my goal for the morning, to find that access point and close it.

Any other ideas for keeping the wasps out? I'm obviously not going to spray in there - but wondering if there is something more I can do.

During this spring build up, I'm going in and checking the lid every third day. We have a lot of paper wasps on any given year, I guess this year is a higher than usual year. In four days, I killed 3 wasps in the hive lids....

Default Re: Paper wasps making nests in gable roof of tbh - advice?

Observe where the wasp flies in & out. You'll find the opening.
    Dan

Just out of curiosity, is there any particular reason why the paper wasps are a problem for you? I understand the human reaction to not like anything that stings, but we're keeping bees, and those babies are PRIME agricultural insect pest killers. In short, if they aren't bothering you directly, I think I'd leave 'em be & enjoy the free pest control they give me for a rent payment

Quote Originally Posted by robherc View Post
    Just out of curiosity, is there any particular reason why the paper wasps are a problem for you? Paper wasps are PRIME agricultural insect pest killers.
    We raise monarchs on our property to release at our church property. Having honeybees doesn't bother the monarch catepillar - but paper wasps surely do!

Hmmm...for *that* reason, I can see having an issue with the wasps...personally, I LIKE the wasps killing my moth larvae that keep chewing the leaves off my crops

Anywise, if you silicone caulked all seams in your gabled roof, I'd expect that to @ least help narrow down the potential ingress points for the queens who're nesting in there on you.