Default Changing Lang frames to Top Bar....not fun!

Today I changed out a 5 frame Lang Nuc to my top bar hive. Let me tell you, it was not the best bee keeping experience I've ever had. After taking out a frame at a time, shaking the bees off, and then taking the frame into a garden shed, cut the comb out of the frame, and then zip tying the comb onto a top bar, and then getting wires stuck in my hands from the Lang frames, finally getting all tied in with honey (and blood from wire sticks) everywhere. I then took my top bar hive and shook in all the bees from the now empty Lang box into my top bar. I got stung twice through my suit, and once on the leg by a determined bee that crawled up my pants. A word of advice to anyone trying this: have all tools that you think you might need with you. Cutting comb out of a frame and suddenly realizing you need wire snips with bees flying everywhere is not good! Anyway I just went and checked on the girls, all bees in the hive, with two buzzing my head until I went back in the house. (guess they are still angry) Just thought I would share, maybe someone will get a chuckle out of it, cause I sure didn't!

Default Re: Changing Lang frames to Top Bar....not fun!

We should have talked! In April I moved a TBH into a Lang. Messy! Lost the queen, bought a local nuc to replace her. Will still take work to swap out those rubber banded combs.
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

I believe it was Phil Chandler who used to have a great video on doing it. It was actually pretty easy for me the time i did it about 5 years ago. Just messy. Left the comb right on the lang top bar and cut each side of the frame off with tree limb cutters and trimed the sides of the comb to fit hive.

I did it last year. Found an old "chop n crop" thread on here that helped plus watched the Phil Chandler video. The wire snips were invaluable, I had to stop and go get them. I was prepared with a board cut down a beespace from my follower and used that as a cut template and did it right at the hive. I used an old bread knife and the snips when I needed to trim the odd wire. I predrilled and wired some bars so I could just bend the wires in to hold the combs until they could attach them. It wasn't my favorite thing to do as a beekeeper but I would be willing to do it again in a pinch. The worst part was cutting through a brood area.