Default My queen is dead

I installed two packages of bees last Sunday....Both queens appeared active and healthy....I did my first hive inspection today and one of my queens is dead in the cage.....she never even made it out......Could it be possible there is a queen already???? This hive is not as active as my other hive.....My other hive queen is alive an laying.....I knew something was up when I didn't see much activity.....How long should I wait before getting a new queen???

thanks....
    Claudette

Default Re: My queen is dead

You haven't ordered on yet? Now would be a good time.

is it possible that there is a queen already in the hive and the bees killed the new queen????

It does happen, but you would see eggs at the very least by now. Queens are usually released after 3 days either by the bees or manually (you).
    If you don't see eggs... order a queen.

That is possible.

Take a peek the next warm day you have without disturbing the bees too much. Just try to get a glimpse of eggs or larvae.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

I did not see any eggs at all.....I didn't see any yet in the other hive either......I am using drawn comb and some has honey in it from last year......I just put a second brood chamber. Trying to give the new queen plenty of space to lay....

I have already contacted my bee guy.....I may go pick up a new queen tomorrow...thanks for the advise....

Claudette

You do not need or want a second box yet.

Order a new queen ASAP, IMO. You let the cage sit for 10 days without a check? Not trying to beat you up, at all, life happens. There won't be a queen in there, unless it was a fluke with a double queen, but since you see nothing for brood and eggs, I say they are queenless. Get a queen in there ASAP before you end up with a Jodi Laying worker....they are hard to get rid of!!! Get a queen....now!

Hi...I did not wait 10 days....I waited 6...They were installed on a Sunday and I checked them on Saturday.....Not even a week....I replaced the queen on Sunday....