Smile Hello from a Community Farmer in PA

Hi, everybody! I'm a member of a community farm here in Pittsburgh, PA and we are just getting started with our own beekeeping project. The idea had been swatted around last year but no one took leadership, so this year I jumped in headfirst to lead a group of newbie beekeepers, with no idea what I was doing! I've been reading a lot. There's still tons to learn though. I've been in contact with our local beekeeping group and we're putting out feelers for neighbors with bees as well, so we'll have someone nearby to support us through this.

When I'm not working with the community farm, I work at a big-box store, play with the cats, and garden on my own tiny lot. We own less than a tenth of an acre and most of it isn't plantable land but I'm expanding my garden beds every year. Eventually I want chickens but I figure a community bee hive is less work to start (and I'll have more help) than a home chicken coop.

So that's me. Interested in bees, love them for their pollination and really hoping for some honey, although I think we may be getting started a little late this year (we don't even have our hive yet!).

Default Re: Hello from a Community Farmer in PA

Welcome aboard, join your local beekeepers association, they are a great source of info, and help. as well as a great bunch.

Welcome to the site!

Welcome Dawn! Get out of the habit of swatting around bees and beekeepers -- "The idea had been swatted around last year but no one took leadership"
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com