Default Trap out, bee tree just swarmed yesterday.

Going to start a trapout from a tree. They just swarmed yesterday and I got there too late to collect the swarm . Should I start this trapout right away? If I put the trap-out cone on and the bait-hive close would I have a chance of catching the new queen on her return from mating flights? A normal trapout takes 6-8 weeks, would a hive that just swarmed take less since they don't have a laying queen. Are we talking 3 weeks?

Default Re: Trap out, bee tree just swarmed yesterday.

Im getting ready to do the same thing and hoping for the same better put a frame of eggs in quick post your results

I know where a hive is that the owner doesn't want, but it is 15ft up, and he doesn't want me to cut them out. How does the trap work, and how do you get the bees to give up the tree, and move into your trap?

Quote Originally Posted by dphillipm View Post
    how do you get the bees to give up the tree, and move into your trap?
    You don't. You make your trap an integral part of the feral colony hive, just another chamber for the queen to lay eggs, and workers to deposit nectar and pollen.

send me an e-mail cchoganjr@scrtc.com and I will send you all the info for a trapout.

cchoganjr

I'm going to do this one with the external cone method because I'm 99% sure they swarmed yesterday, the new queen should be going on mating flights soon and I should get her (at least I think). It's also 20' up and the way the entrance is on the tree isn't conducive to the Hogan method. The owner has a lift truck for his business that he is letting me use for set-up and tear down once it's done. A ladder will be fine for routing checks over the next few weeks. I'm going to start another one later this week using the Hogan method. That one has an entrance at knee height and will be easy to set up for the Hogan trap. Unfortunately they are both 25 miles away from home in opposite directions but I took that into account when quoting the jobs.