Default Bee Weaver queens

With the claims made by these guys - "you can throw away those expensive mite treatments", just wondered if any commercial guys have tried them, and how they went?
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Default Re: Bee Weaver queens

You better keep your mite treatments, and save your money.

householder, does that apply to all breeds, or just the weaver queens?

I agree with Ron. We tried them for a few years and they got the PMS just like all the rest.

Thumbs down Re: Bee Weaver queens

The company tried them for a few years back in the days. Don't know if they have changed the way they do business, or not. Really bad Queens. One year we had a 200+ lot of Buckfast queen. 94% drone layers. We would have been better off letting them raise there own queens and only produce a super or two, instead of a queen bill with no production.

OK 94% drone layers would probably stop me using a supplier again!

They only claim to have stopped using chemicals since 2001. Did these other posts relate to before or after that?
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Regardless, they're queens looked beautiful to me.

Don't grade a woman just by her looks, that can backfire.

Crazy Roland

I've been researching comments on BeeWeaver queens and come across this thread:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ight=beeweaver
    It seems to be mostly positive but most of the posts were by hobbyists.

Buckfast queen. 94% drone layers

That's an interesting statement. The only similar experience I've had with my own queens was when they were treated too close to the queen rearing; however, the weather was bad (very windy) during the time when the queens would (should) have been flying. I guess that's another possible cause.

Something like that would be the cause. However a queen breeder should know if something like that is likely & verify the queen is laying worker eggs by waiting till they are capped. Hard though when the pressure is on, but better to try not to sell rubbish.

However the thread might lose it's focus, I was more interested in info from commercial beekeepers so as to get a large scale comparison of these queens against others, rather than an opinion on one or two queens.

Just seemed to me that if they were as good as claimed all commercial beekeepers would use them and not mess with treatment.

Commercial beekeepers also probably want to get along, so may be reluctant to publicly comment on somebody else's product. So what's not said can mean something too.

You can't buy success. Bees will die no matter how much you spend on them.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Wink Re: Bee Weaver queens

To give you how long ago it was, we paid $10 a queen. You might get away with sell junk for a while, but if you don't change, the word will get around. Over the years we have try many different queen rearer and found the best for how we work our bees. Wilbank's have been taking care of ALL our queen needs for the last 13 years. Were only into honey production and the Wilbanks queens sure fills the hives with bees to fill the supers(169 hive avg. last year).

Sorry Weaver's just really did us wrong back in the days and hope them the best.

I wouldn't want my silence to be construed as skepticism. I can accept that the treatment free 2001 date which means they treated for probably 10 years after first being impacted by varroa. We used to purchase a lot of both queens and packages from them many years ago and they were very ethical people to do business with. Our decision to change our operation and become more migratory was an economic one. We found we could move our own hives each year and raise our own queens for far less money than to purchase them. We were hardly alone in doing so. It appears to me that current Weaver pricing dosent seem to be aimed at the large commercial market. I am watching this thread with interest, they no doubt have some large commercial customers though I am not personally aware of any. My guess is that maintaining treatment free hives at a single location probably dosent guarantee similar results when subjected to the rigors of a commercial migratory operation.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by The Honey Householder View Post
    (169 hive avg. last year).
    Wow, that's a great avg, well done.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements