Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Zone 7a - Main flow has arrived

Tulip poplar and privet pretty much done here in Huntsville al, 30 mins south of AL/TN line. This recent heat and lack of rain has even made the large clover patches look awfully dry. Blackberry was late and quick this year. Hives that produced 2 supers of strictly privet last year plus tulip mixture are looking at only one super alone this year. All hives are short on honey compared to last year. Hoping the cotton later makes up for it.

In East Tn/Ridge& Valley, 95% tulip popular are done, privet is 40% done, clover is looking good and sumac will start blooming next week. So for the next three weeks it's all about getting the right amount of rain. I have expanded from 2 hives to 16 this year so I won't be expecting a lot of honey this year, maybe about 150 lbs out of the two established hives and one nuc2deep hive has a chance to produce a medium of surplus. All my hives are Carniolans and or carns mutts, after July 4th (when I extract) they will shut down brood production for two months and coast in to Sept. They haven't had any problems with the heat and mites so far. I will use soft treatments in August and Sept.

I found a big field of vetch with bees working it pretty good. That explains the very light honey being put up right now in my hives. Still lots of clover out there, although it was getting a little dry until the rain last night. Hopefully it'll hold on for a few more weeks.

i was happy to see continued progress in the drawing and filling of new comb since last check seven days ago. getting a good rain today, maybe that will help keep it going a little longer.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

I have one more nuc on order from Arnold in Knoxville, so much for a early May start. I guess I'll have to feed in to July to get some of these hives to blow out the rest of the hive bodies.
    My established hives are still working like crazy so there hope that the late start I had on some of my packages/nucs will get it done. Rain is your friend in June.

southeast Kansas ?

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    6-7-13: i was happy to see continued progress in the drawing and filling of new comb since last check seven days ago. getting a good rain today, maybe that will help keep it going a little longer.
    seven days later and no new comb. looks like the end of main flow and the beginning of summer dearth. other beekeepers nearby are also reporting no new comb over the last week or two.

last swarm issue was 2 weeks ago, (the first was on 4/24).

started extracting last weekend, looks like it's going to be a decent honey harvest this year, and the nine caught swarms will be split to make up 18 nucs for over wintering.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    seven days later and no new comb. looks like the end of main flow
    Much the same here. I've gotten a couple of calls about apparent robbing this week....a pretty sure sign.
    I started extracting last week too.
    Ah well....it was a good run.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I have made robbing screens for each of my hives. The screens are wide enough that the entire opening is covered. When the robbing screen is in place, should I still use an entrance reducer? Should I be proactive and put the screens on each hive or should I wait until I actually see robbing?
    Last edited by ericweller; 06-14-2013 at 08:11 PM.

I' m already seeing mild robbing of mating nucs, and I've started putting robbing screens on everything.

The clover looks good, but it's a thin shadow of the flow 10 days ago. At least we are still getting plenty of rain for now.

Quote Originally Posted by ericweller View Post
    When the robbing screen is in place, should I still use an entrance reducer? Should I be proactive and put the screens on each hive
    In my opinion....healthy, vigorous, queenright hives rarely...if ever... need a robbing screen. Pretty much the same in my part of GA with entrance reducers. You should never need to use one....if your colony is healthy. In fact, putting a reducer in during the heat of summer may create a major problem for your bees trying to cool their nest. And our winters just don't justify using one.
    Again....my opinion only....I'm sure you will hear others.
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    At least we are still getting plenty of rain for now.
    Heaven knows that I can't complain about the rain. First spring in years that we've gotten anything approaching enough. Now.....if it will hold off for a ten days or so, I may be able to move some hives up for sourwood. I've got to ford the river and last time I checked it was waaayyy too high.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    In my opinion....healthy, vigorous, queenright hives rarely...if ever... need a robbing screen. Pretty much the same in my part of GA with entrance reducers. You should never need to use one....if your colony is healthy. In fact, putting a reducer in during the heat of summer may create a major problem for your bees trying to cool their nest. And our winters just don't justify using one.
    Again....my opinion only....I'm sure you will hear others.
    Probably true, but if you make increase yourself then all hives probably don't meet those criteria all the time. Also, my robbers might be more aggressive than yours are. Just sayin'

Your right though, if you are going to reduce entrances in hot weather then there needs to be plenty of ventilation somewhere else.

More evidence that beekeeping is local. What might work well for you could surely spell disaster for me. Any hive or nuc in my neighborhood that is weak enough to be robbed today, if not robbed will be fodder for small hive beetles. I cannot have a queenless or otherwise lackluster hive in my operation by the time the nectar flow ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    Probably true, but if you make increase yourself then all hives probably don't meet those criteria all the time. Also, my robbers might be more aggressive than yours are. Just sayin'
    I made about 150 splits this spring. Typically about a third languish…usually queen issues of one sort or another. This year the number needing ‘assistance’ was 40. Today those 40 have been nurtured or combined to result in 26 ten frame hives (I know the exact number as I just came in from that yard). Every one is queenright and full of bees and brood….and could quickly eject robbers and shb. In my neighborhood there isn’t any choice. Strong or gone by now. Unfortunately most of these missed much of the nectar flow. I haven’t told them yet….but if the river continues to drop they will be making a month long visit to the mountains in another ten days…..and if the river doesn’t drop….they’d better have gotten swimming lessons.
    Or….then again....maybe your robbers are meaner than mine.

squarepeg, do you guys have much dutch white clover up there? We still have a pretty decent amount of clover blooming, although the 95+ degree temps we had this week really slowed it down. We've got sumac blooming too, isn't that a nectar source?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bee View Post
    squarepeg, do you guys have much dutch white clover up there? We still have a pretty decent amount of clover blooming, although the 95+ degree temps we had this week really slowed it down. We've got sumac blooming too, isn't that a nectar source?
    funny you should ask brad. after almost a week of unemployed foragers bearding on the front of the hives and me thinking that's all folks,

foraging has been very strong the past couple of days. yes, the sumac is in full bloom and i think there is a lot of it around here. it will be interesting to see if they pull some more comb off of it.

and yes, lots of dutch white clover still blooming all around, but i haven't seen many bees on it.

ps: rumor has it that sourwood is about to bloom around here, but i'm not sure how much of it there is.

There isn't much sourwood around here at all. I haven't seen enough bees working anything since the holly bloom started in April. I have no idea what my bees are feeding on, but they've been doing a lot of feeding.

very good! are they still drawing comb?

They were last weekend. I didn't check them today.