Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Zone 7a - Main flow has arrived

One more week of sumac species. Next year I'll have a bee trailer ready for sourwood. Got a old boat trailer that will hold about ten hives. Drive it up on the plateau which is about 10 miles from the house and leave it for a month.

This has been a great season so far - even when the flow has tapered down they have brought in enough to take care of their selves and keep producing a good amount of brood. My splits have built up great, and I've had better luck than usual getting everything queenright. It looks like the one package that I bought has made more than enough honey to pay for itself - despite me robbing it of brood and nurse bees twice. They are even drawing a little bit of comb on the sumac bloom the last few days. Last year we were almost a month into a dearth by now and hive beetles were everywhere.

Something must be about to happen.

same here david, a good year indeed.

several of the swarms i caught (5 frames of bees average) managed to fill a deep and one or two supers. i'll take the honey and the drawn comb from them, and split them into nucs to be (hopefully) queened with grafts from my best hive this year.

i'm still harvesting honey and should at least double what i got last year, mostly because of having more drawn comb.

and all of this with no syrup given, it's amazing what a good year of nectar can do!

i am noticing more unemployed foragers bearding outside of the hives lately, i think you're right about the onset of the dearth and all that it brings.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Walt if you think you can pin down the weather you are peeing up a rain pipe. My motto is the bees have a million years of experience on handling weather changes so why mess with that? There are some procedures that you can outline for beekeeping but I feel the bees have it all over us on what to do when based on weather.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

My flow usually ends the first or second week of June. And when it ends, that's it. This year it is tapering off. I can still walk in front of several hives after dark and hear the buzzing of drying nectar from 10 feet away. I think the moisture in the soil has made white clover produce more nectar at this time of year.

I harvested yesterday and extracted all day today. About 30 gallons. This year, I will let the cotton and soybeans be my split builder and let the other full hives keep it as their winter stores. That way, I only have to feed the splits for winter stores.

clover is still rolling good here, lots of rain. This has been a really good year.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123