Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Monsanto GMO products contribute to ccd

GM crops have provided the same advantage to the grower no matter what your growing or where your growing it. It gives the grower the advantage with weed control which translates into allowing the grower to manage the land in a more efficient sustainable manner.

Since we started using GM crop on our land in the late 90's our fuel consumption has decreased by half, our land has never been in better shape. Life has returned and which has rebuilt our soil structure, we are building soil every year now as opposed to eroding away. This is a direct result from cutting back on our tillage.

This is a direct result from using a RR cropping rotation in our fields. Its not all no till up here, Id call it minimal tillage
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Embarrassed Re: Monsanto GMO products contribute to ccd

sorry
    Last edited by mac; 05-30-2013 at 12:46 PM.
    Im really not that serious

I'm going to start deleting posts that are basically links to an article with some quoted material. A thread was created for these types of posts and it's stuck at the top of the thread page. Use it.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I’m sure no till will beeeeee good for the bees.
    I dont know if it is or not,

The thing is many people harp on Monsanto and their control over farmers buying habits,
    farmers are merely buying a product that serves a very useful process, good products will be bought
    Farmers benefit, and so does the land

the bees will have less to forage on because of the farmers ability to produce absolute clean crops
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I dont know if it is or not,
    Here it seems to mean you can farm more land.... much more land. To quote one farmer.... "I put the same time and effort into 2000 acres of soybeans that I once put into 100 acres". From the beekeepers stand point .... it means my swamps, bogs, and bays are rapidly being cleared, drained, and tiled.... bees don't care about Soybeans.
    Dont tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled. - The Quran

ok

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Mac your post shows a total lack of understanding of no till farming practices.
    Don't believe anyone mentioned no till untill this post.

Welllllllll soil health and structure are depleted by NOT cultivating weeds and cover crops back into the soil also water retention properties are diminished by not adding them back to the soil increasing demands on having to irrigate.. Erosion is also increased by not having organic matter added back to the soil.
    Actually, soil tillage is destructive to soil health in a number of ways. As has been mentioned, the risks of erosion are greatly increased by tillage. Soil organinc matter content is decreased by tillage by increasing the oxygen content of the soil thus oxidizing the organic matter.

There is a great example of this in Florida with the farming of the muck soils. While they are very fertile the draining and tilling of the muck soils results in subsidence of these soils which released nutrients to groundwater which ended up in lakes. The big O is south Florida is one example. the impacts on Lake Apopka are another example.

Tilling in crop residue does not increase soil organinc matter content. At best you will reduce the rate of loss of organic matter.

The biggest impact RR, or other herbicide resistant, crops have on bees is the reduction on non-crop flowering plants which bees would forage on.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    Here it seems to mean you can farm more land.... much more land. To quote one farmer.... "I put the same time and effort into 2000 acres of soybeans that I once put into 100 acres". From the beekeepers stand point .... it means my swamps, bogs, and bays are rapidly being cleared, drained, and tiled.... bees don't care about Soybeans.
    thats not all a result of RR cropping, technology has come along way in the last 5-10 years.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    thats not all a result of RR cropping, technology has come along way in the last 5-10 years.
    If beekeeping technology had kept pace with cropping technology, I wonder what my world would be like?

My neighbor just replaced his old combine... this one cost .5 million.... and it is used! Cab looks like the inside of a jet plane....
    Dont tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled. - The Quran

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    If beekeeping technology had kept pace with cropping technology, I wonder what my world would be like?

My neighbor just replaced his old combine... this one cost .5 million.... and it is used! Cab looks like the inside of a jet plane....
    I typed the same thing in my previous post, but deleted it because I thought it might stir the pot! lol
    I absolutely agree, but do you know what the key ingredient to cropping tech is? Private investment and promise to make a fortune.

let me tell you a little story about agribusiness investment into RnD,
    A few years back I fell victim to being on the wrong side of a seed company, who went broke, lost $5000, and was listed as an unsecured investor, got payed 6% on the dollar,
    on the page of unsecured investors was DOW , I think it was, owed $250 000 000.
    Big investments into agriculture can be very lucrative
    www.stepplerfarms.com

And I believe it is a pretty well established fact, that not too many fortunes are made in beekeeping. At least not that I have observed.

So monsantoes answer to all related bee problems is to create GM bees. Ya'll ready to get sued???

So monsantoes answer to all related bee problems is to create GM bees. Ya'll ready to get sued???
    The Monsanto owned Beelogics company is trying to develop products to help control honey bee pests, parasites and diseases. http://www.beeologics.com/beeologics-blog/

BTW, here's a look at the food that's served in Monsanto's employee cafeteria: http://monsantoblog.com/2012/02/10/w...os-cafeterias/
    On a couple occasions Monsanto had to pull the spinach from their salad bar after learning it was recalled due to possible E.coli and Listeria contamination. The spinach in both cases was - organic.

n/a

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDiamond View Post
    The Monsanto owned Beelogics company is trying to develop products to help control honey bee pests, parasites and diseases. http://www.beeologics.com/beeologics-blog/
    Oddly enough, Monsanto only took an interest in purchasing Beeologics AFTER they had released several reports that raised questions about the safety of neonicotinoid pesticides and their negative impacts upon bees.

BTW, here's a look at the food that's served in Monsanto's employee cafeteria: http://monsantoblog.com/2012/02/10/w...os-cafeterias/
    On a couple occasions Monsanto had to pull the spinach from their salad bar after learning it was recalled due to possible E.coli and Listeria contamination. The spinach in both cases was - organic.
    Lol, yes, because conventional crops NEVER get E. coli or Listeria.....Yep, watch out for that organic food, it's bad for you--if you make your living selling pesticides....

Of course conventional crops can become contaminated with E. coli or Listeria; but using manure to fertilize makes it a whole heck of a lot more likely.
    Beeless since 2012; coming back in 2014. Suffering from apicultural withdrawal!

I'm sure that spinach was tainted by one of the cafeteria workers not washing their hands after going to the bathroom. Haha

The real question? Odd that Monsanto offers organic food to their employees, but swear by their product.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=oJ5ri...%3DoJ5riRX1_3w apologies if this was posted before, long thread to watch all of the videos. Watch the first 35 min.

There is nothing "sustainable" about GMO crops. Solar is sustainable...organic growing is sustainable...I especially like Monsantos view on at LEAST labeling the products made by GMO's...they don't want to do that because people won't buy it. Interesting. So lets mute the consumer voices. That always works...

And while they're at it, lets mute the beekeeper voices as well (seen in the video).

Perhaps it was one of the cafeteria workers. But on other occasions contamination happens on a large enough scale that it can't credibly be pinned to a single individual, and is more likely a systemic thing.
    Beeless since 2012; coming back in 2014. Suffering from apicultural withdrawal!

Quote Originally Posted by melliferal View Post
    Perhaps it was one of the cafeteria workers. But on other occasions contamination happens on a large enough scale that it can't credibly be pinned to a single individual, and is more likely a systemic thing.
    May 26 2013 Last week the Brazos County Health Department appropriately announced that the source of the E. coli O157:H7 outbreak that sickened 10, putting two young brothers in a Houston hospital with acute kidney failure (HUS), was traced to ground beef from a College Station restaurant. According to those health officials, the Coco Loco restaurant across the…

The E. coli outbreak linked to frozen food products that sickened 35 people in 19 states appears to be over, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced Thursday. The outbreak began in December of 2012, when the first illness began, and the last victims fell ill in mid-April of this year, according to CDC….

An E. coli outbreak linked to a barbecue restaurant in Northeast Georgia sickened as many as 18 people, health officials announced Friday. This case count includes 7 more illnesses than the 11 reported on May 21. BBQ Shack restaurant in Toccoa, GA is the suspected source of the E. coli bacteria, which was confirmed as…

After all, it was E. coli O157:H7 in droppings from deer wandering through some strawberry fields in Oregon that contaminated berries that would eventually kill an elderly woman and send seven people to the hospital, three of whom suffered kidney failure, according to public health officials.

And it was the same potentially fatal type of E. coli that killed three people and sickened more than 200 in the 2006 outbreak linked to baby spinach grown in California. The likely culprits in that outbreak were wild pigs or livestock that wandered through the field or perhaps nearby irrigation water that had been contaminated by livestock or wildlife. But even with matching DNA samples, the exact way the pathogen actually spread to the spinach remains unknown.

Kalmia E. Kniel, Department of Animal and Food Sciences at the University of Delaware, and one of the project’s researchers, told Food Safety News that, when all is said and done, the results of the literature review show that it’s “very unlikely” that contamination of produce occurs in the field through root uptake.

When asked about root crops such as carrots, Kniel said there’s no evidence to show that they’re at risk when it comes to internalizing pathogens from the soil.
    That’s not to say, of course, that root crops grown in soil contaminated with pathogens won’t have some pathogens on their surfaces when they’re harvested.
    The paper’s conclusion says that “generally, the presence of internalized pathogens in roots of plants does not directly correlate with internalized pathogens in the edible or foliar tissues of crops.”

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast