Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 276
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Coatesville, Pa, USA
    Posts
    838

    Default Re: Monsanto GMO products contribute to ccd

    You are right Barry. I'm sorry, but I have to wonder if a given food is good / bad for us what does the pollen and nectar cause for the bees. I have read I think in this thread or others where at least soy has proven to "keep hives alive" through a dearth last summer, but personally I would love to see studies / research on all of this. (example. . . What characteristics do the pollen / nectar have vs. Non GMO crops, and what about the end product?) Perhaps this isn't the place to discuss the "end product"?

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    havana fl
    Posts
    1,358

    Default Re: Monsanto GMO products contribute to ccd

    Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    Surely he would not think that. Long before the Neonics came along the native pollinators were gone.
    Well that's not true
    Im really not that serious

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    havana fl
    Posts
    1,358

    Default Re: Monsanto GMO products contribute to ccd

    I don't see how one can separate farming and bees they kind of go hand in hand me thinks.
    Im really not that serious

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    havana fl
    Posts
    1,358

    Default Re: Monsanto GMO products contribute to ccd

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    yes it is, may I add fuel savings and increased soil health and structure
    Welllllllll soil health and structure are depleted by NOT cultivating weeds and cover crops back into the soil also water retention properties are diminished by not adding them back to the soil increasing demands on having to irrigate.. Erosion is also increased by not having organic matter added back to the soil. The weeds feed the bees the bees help to feed us.
    Im really not that serious

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Herrick, SD USA
    Posts
    4,454

    Default Re: Monsanto GMO products contribute to ccd

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Welllllllll soil health and structure are depleted by NOT cultivating weeds and cover crops back into the soil also water retention properties are diminished by not adding them back to the soil increasing demands on having to irrigate.. Erosion is also increased by not having organic matter added back to the soil. The weeds feed the bees the bees help to feed us.
    Mac your post shows a total lack of understanding of no till farming practices. The crop matter from the previous year is left undisturbed (think of it as mulch) and naturally decays back into the soil. Older farming practices often called for as many as 3 passes just to prepare a seed bed. This exposed the soil to the threat of massive erosion if heavy rains occured before the crop became well established, a very common occurance. many combines used to sustain serious damage if the driver failed to see the resulting deep holes and ruts and drove a loaded combine into them resulting in broken axles or even an occassional roll over. The now nearly obsolete practice of cultivating opens the soil, robbing soil moisture with each pass and the newly disturbed soil allows a whole new crop of weeds to begin germinating requiring yet another pass and so on. Nowadays it's a single pass with a new type of planter that actually cuts through the debris or even into sod that has been sprayed. The soil is virtually undisturbed. What this means of course are highly productive weed free crops but, of course, virtually no bee forage.
    Last edited by jim lyon; 05-29-2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Typo
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

  6. #66
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Garland, Bladen County, NC, USA
    Posts
    3,068

    Default Re: Monsanto GMO products contribute to ccd

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Well that's not true
    Mac... I am talking about native pollinators in monocrops. That is why they hire pollinators...
    Dont tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled. - The Quran

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, Calif. USA
    Posts
    272

    Default Re: Monsanto GMO products contribute to ccd

    Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    As soon as you apply the pesticide... whammo... the natural pollinators are dead.
    Actually, the flowering weeds that exist along the margins of monocrops set lots of seeds because there are lots of natural pollinators along the margins despite the pesticide use. Here's a example from a near desert area - the arid west side of California's San Joaquin Valley: https://imageshack.us/a/img823/8452/finki.jpg

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon USA
    Posts
    323

    Default Re: Monsanto GMO products contribute to ccd

    GMO wheat, not yet approved for use in the US, was just recently discovered in an Oregon farmer's fields. The discovery puts the entire Oregon wheat crop at risk because our primary markets are Asia where they do not want GMO products. In addition, this hurts organic wheat farmers who's organic certifications are now at risk. This is very bad news for Oregon's wheat farmers.......

    http://www.registerguard.com/rg/news...eered.html.csp

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, Calif. USA
    Posts
    272

    Default Re: Monsanto GMO products contribute to ccd

    http://www.twincities.com/news/ci_23...eld?source=rss

    "While USDA's results are unexpected, there is considerable reason to believe that the presence of the Roundup Ready trait in wheat, if determined to be valid, is very limited," the company [Monsanto] said.

    "Firko and Acting Deputy Secretary of Agriculture Michael T. Scuse said they have already been in touch with international trading partners to try and assuage any concerns.
    "Hopefully our trading partners will be understanding that this is not a food or feed safety issue," Scuse said."

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    6,228

    Default Re: Monsanto GMO products contribute to ccd

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Welllllllll soil health and structure are depleted by NOT cultivating weeds and cover crops back into the soil also water retention properties are diminished by not adding them back to the soil increasing demands on having to irrigate.. Erosion is also increased by not having organic matter added back to the soil. The weeds feed the bees the bees help to feed us.
    you have no idea what your talking about
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon USA
    Posts
    323

    Default Re: Monsanto GMO products contribute to ccd

    "The discovery could have far-reaching implications for the U.S. wheat industry if the growth of the engineered product turns out to be far-flung. Many countries around the world will not accept imports of genetically modified foods, and the United States exports about half of its wheat crop.

    Oregon Department of Agriculture Director Katy Coba said in a statement that the discovery is "a very serious development that could have major trade ramifications." The state exports about 90 percent of its wheat.

    "I am concerned that a highly regulated plant material such as genetically modified wheat somehow was able to escape into a crop field," she said.


    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...wheat/2370533/

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, Calif. USA
    Posts
    272

    Default Re: Monsanto GMO products contribute to ccd

    USDA test results for Roundup Ready wheat in Oregon might have yielded a false positive:
    http://www.monsanto.com/newsviews/Pa...-gm-wheat.aspx

    Excerpt: "Commercial test strips, which are used to detect the presence of glyphosate tolerance in soybeans, canola, cotton and sugar beets, generate a very high incidence of false positive detections (greater than 90 percent) and are not reliable for wheat. We have asked [the USDA] for information necessary to confirm the presence of the Roundup Ready trait in the samples that were tested.* Up to this point, Monsanto has not received details about the testing USDA has performed, nor has UDSA provided us with samples necessary to verify their [USDA] findings."

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Herrick, SD USA
    Posts
    4,454

    Default Re: Monsanto GMO products contribute to ccd

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    you have no idea what your talking about
    I think your response was a lot better than mine.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    6,228

    Default Re: Monsanto GMO products contribute to ccd

    why is it that when someone does not know anything at all about a particular subject, they will just make something up to fit their argument
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon USA
    Posts
    323

    Default Re: Monsanto GMO products contribute to ccd

    Interesting stance by Monsanto given that:

    1. The wheat in question was sprayed with glyphosate more than once and did not die, which is what led to the suspicion that it was GMO wheat.
    2. The USDA tested samples and determined that it was GMO wheat, and then did further testing to reveal that the source of the wheat was Monsanto GMO test crops that were terminated in 2005.

    So, it was sprayed with roundup and did not die, and, it's been tested twice so far by the USDA--testing precise enough to link the strain to Monsanto test varieties......

    "WASHINGTON, May 29, 2013 –The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) announced today that test results of plant samples from an Oregon farm indicate the presence of genetically engineered (GE) glyphosate-resistant wheat plants. Further testing by USDA laboratories indicates the presence of the same GE glyphosate-resistant wheat variety that Monsanto was authorized to field test in 16 states from 1998 to 2005. APHIS launched a formal investigation after being notified by an Oregon State University scientist that initial tests of wheat samples from an Oregon farm indicated the possible presence of GE glyphosate-resistant wheat plants. There are no GE wheat varieties approved for sale or in commercial production in the United States or elsewhere at this time. "


    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDiamond View Post
    USDA test results for Roundup Ready wheat in Oregon might have yielded a false positive:
    http://www.monsanto.com/newsviews/Pa...-gm-wheat.aspx

    Excerpt: "Commercial test strips, which are used to detect the presence of glyphosate tolerance in soybeans, canola, cotton and sugar beets, generate a very high incidence of false positive detections (greater than 90 percent) and are not reliable for wheat. We have asked [the USDA] for information necessary to confirm the presence of the Roundup Ready trait in the samples that were tested.* Up to this point, Monsanto has not received details about the testing USDA has performed, nor has UDSA provided us with samples necessary to verify their [USDA] findings."

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, Calif. USA
    Posts
    272

    Default Re: Monsanto GMO products contribute to ccd

    The bottom line is that as of today Monsanto "has not received details about the testing USDA has performed, nor has UDSA provided us with samples necessary to verify their [USDA] findings". And even if the USDA's findings are eventually verified by Monsanto there will still likely be an investigation into possible sabotage by anti-Monsanto interests. Recall the 2001 anthrax attacks against members of Congress were thought to have been conducted by a scientist who worked at one of the government's biodefense labs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_anthrax_attacks

    And recall the devastating 2002 Hayman fire in Colorado where a US Forest Service technician pleaded guilty to "setting fire to federal forest land and lying to investigators" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayman_Fire So it's conceivable that the GMO wheat plants in Oregon (if they really turn out to be GMO wheat) were deliberately planted by a sabateur.

  17. #77
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    lenoir caldwell county north carolina
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: Monsanto GMO products contribute to ccd

    The proof is out there (face It)

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    havana fl
    Posts
    1,358

    Default Re: Monsanto GMO products contribute to ccd

    ooooops
    Last edited by mac; 05-30-2013 at 06:33 AM. Reason: double post.
    Im really not that serious

  19. #79
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    havana fl
    Posts
    1,358

    Cool Re: Monsanto GMO products contribute to ccd

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    you have no idea what your talking about
    Well I suppose yall are referring to me. Down here in Dixie they dont practice no till farming. Yall grow cotton up yonder?? So I was helping a fellow beekeeper unload and move 30 or so hives to pollinate watermelons up in Al. awhile back and they had turned the soil before planting, then planted then used round up and a fungicide made another pass with fertilizer, and the last time hauling wagons to load the melons on. I was going to suggest to the owner that he should start using no till farming practices like they do up in Canada just only one pass at planting then go pick your melons. But the owner had a pinch between his lip and gum and a Budweiser on the seat so I kept my mouth shut. Picked up 11 dead outs that day. Sure had nothing to do with round up or fungicides. Must have beeen lousy beekeeping.
    Im really not that serious

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Herrick, SD USA
    Posts
    4,454

    Default Re: Monsanto GMO products contribute to ccd

    Mac: No till farming is a bit soil specific I am aware there are some soil types where some sort of aeration is necessary. I assume farmers understand what works well in their soil types. I won't pretend to understand every regions farming practices. Up here no till has been a real god send for moisture retention and soil erosion reduction. Plows and cultivators have become so much scrap iron.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads