Hybrid View

Big Grin Monsanto GMO products contribute to ccd

There will beeee a worldwide march against Monsanto GMO products killing bees May 25 google march against monsanto for info in your area
    Iím really not that serious

Default Re: Monsanto GMO products contribute to ccd

Try it. What could happen?

Ole Mac is just having some fun with us (note smiley face). In all seriousness one can certainly make an argument that the use of GMO products with the resulting highly productive and weed free fields is hardly beneficial to bees. But it sure is good for the billions of
    people on the planet that like eating.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Ah, got it. I was hoping for an impassioned, holier than thou response. Quite a disappointment.

Try it. What could happen?

Contrary to popular belief, GMO's do NOT produce higher crop yields...

Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, GMO's do NOT produce higher crop yields...
    That is true in some instances crop yields are lower

I don't know if anyone says gmos boost yields, but it has more to do with the actual breeding line it's in anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by JStinson View Post
    Ah, got it. I was hoping for an impassioned, holier than thou response. Quite a disappointment.

From me???? surely you jest. And ya don't have to call me Shirley.

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Ole Mac is just having some fun with us (note smiley face). In all seriousness one can certainly make an argument that the use of GMO products with the resulting highly productive and weed free fields is hardly beneficial to bees. But it sure is good for the billions of
    people on the planet that like eating.
    weed pollen and nectar for highly productive bees. I do believe bees help feed people and the court is still out on the health benefits of GMO crops. Time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by JStinson View Post
    OK, you'll need to copy some of that article here so we can read it. Getting a page that requires me to sign up to WSJ doesn't work. I do like the subtitle:
    Campaigns by well-fed activists would impose the tastes of the rich on the hunger of the poor.

Regards, Barry

> OK, you'll need to copy some of that article here so we can read it.

I'm not a paid WSJ subscriber. But here is a free summary of the piece:
    [Article Summarized by Meridian Institute] In this opinion piece, Robert Paarlberg, a professor of political science at Wellesley College, writes that campaigns by well-fed activists to require the labeling of foods containing genetically modified organisms (GMOs) will take important choices away from farmers and consumers in poor countries. If a mandatory labeling law was enacted in the U.S., says Paarlberg, Americaís farmers could likely find an acceptable workaround, as much of the soy and corn grown in the U.S. is employed as feedstock for biofuels or as animal feed, neither of which requires a label. But, he argues, there would be a large downside in poor countries that are moving further along this path. Developing countries, he says, have significant unmet food needs, and GMO food crops could help. Golden rice, which contains vitamin A, could help those in Asia lacking this nutrient; in India, access to GMO eggplant would reduce the toxic exposure farmers and consumers get from pesticides; and, in East Africa, drought-resistant maize would help those farmers vulnerable to hunger and destitution when the rains donít come. But, warns Paarlberg, ďif America, through a labeling system, joins Europe in embracing a new norm against the cultivation of GMO crops for human food, governments in developing countries, already skittish thanks to activist campaigns, will likely follow suit. The result would be a needless setback for the world's poorest and hungriest people.Ē

http://www.linkedin.com/groups/World...78.S.232805928
    Lets not forget the smileys!
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Monsanto, Bayer and Syngenta produce the TOOLS farmers need to grow more corn and soybeans. But they do not create the public DEMAND for corn and soybeans. If anti-pesticide activists were sincerely interested in reducing sales of Monsanto et al products, they should have been working to reduce the public demand for corn and soybeans; i.e. they should have vigorously fought the Biofuels Mandate, vigorously promoted major reductions in auto size, weight and engine horsepower and supported reinstatement of the national 55 MPH speed limit. But they are not interested in doing any of that because there's far less money to be made promoting true conservation as compared to waging high profile "Occupy Monsanto" type campaigns. The activists like to claim they are not in it for the money, but their IRS tax returns show otherwise:

I take it that you have a sportsman's license.

While modern agriculture almost certainly has an impact on pollinators, I think that it's exotic pathogens that are the root cause of CCD.

Why blame others for exotic viruses, and other pests and pathogens, that have reached us from the other side of the world?

I blame globilization!

Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    no their trying to control the food chain
    I have to agree