Default Some Sick Bees video. What is this???!!

I posted a question in the general bee forum about my sick bees. They seem to exhibit some of the signs of tracheal mites by not being able to fly though otherwise looking perfectly healthy. I was told by my wife that last weekend a door to door sales person stopped by the house offer a bug and spider spraying service all around the house and type of pesticide. Of course we didn't pay them, but others in the neighborhood might have. And I was told by my local bee store that some of these same symptom as tracheal mites are like poisoning too. Over the past two days I have seen only about 5 bees each day affected like this in front of the hive. Then today I saw about 15, maybe 20 bees in front of the hive. Some huddled together, other wandering aimlessly and almost "drunk" walking around.

So I grabbed my cell phone and shot some video of the bees. I happened to capture a couple very interesting clips of a yellow, mustard like goo coming out of the back side of the bees. Once they expelled the mess, they flew off, where before that they where heaving the abdomen and pulling on their tongues.

Please watch the video and tell me what you think this is.

The other thing I have been thinking with this is that they seem to have a nasty "tummy ache." Could it be the 1:1 sugar syrup I am feeding my 4 week old package hive? Should I get them some Honey B Healthy to add to their syrup? How should I be preparing the syrup? I have been using tap water, should I use only bottled water? The water here in Aurora is actually very good water. It actually wins awards for some of the best water in the US contests year after year. But that's for humans, not bees.

Any ideas?

Default Re: Some Sick Bees video. What is this???!!

Congrats on getting good video, hopefully someone will know what is going on!

Thanks, I'm always amazed at how well this cell phone captures images. (HTC Amaze 4G)

Hopefully someone will know what this is. I'd hate to loose the hive to something stupid that was my fault.

How are you making the 1:1? Best to boil water. Turn off heat. Add sugar. Cane sugar, right?

If the sugar is allowed to boil, I have read where it can make the girls sick.

Bees in a hive badly infested with varroa can have that cleaning behaviour, but not the diarrea. Diarrea like that can be caused by Nosema Apis, but that wouldn't cause the cleaning behaviour.

So this is a guess, but I'd go with poisoning, most likely a synthetic pyrethroid. Impossible to know for sure just by watching a video though.

Not much you can do, other than wait, and it should pass. You could also note the date of this in your bee dairy, to see if it happens again & is a seasonal thing, in which case you could attempt to identify possible crops that may be getting sprayed while in flower.

I do bee removal work, and some people ring because of a bee problem, when I get there it's bees in a flowering tree or bush./ I explain they are just harmlessly gathering food, but surprisingly often the people will want me to spray the plant to get rid of the bees. Of course I don't, but I know some pesties would.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).