Thread: brood disease?

Hybrid View

Exclamation brood disease?

I just did an inspection on a nice strong hive today that appears to have a Brood Disease. I am a newer Beekeeper , so please take it easy on me if I am not explaining it properly. The course I am taking did a Lab on Brood diseases and I saw AFB in Late stages there.

But what I am seeing is a very few amount of cells that are slightly uncapped with pin holes in them , and when I scratch them open , I see a rubbery brownish pupae with an undeveloped head . The hive has great brood patterns and is very strong as well .
    I am a little worried , because I have never dealt with a Brood disease other than Chalkbrood at the course I am taking , that I found when I went through a hive to assess it for issues.

Could this be Sacbrood ?

I did alert my Bee Health Inspector today Via email .

But I wanted to hear what your thoughts were ?

Do you need a picture or does this sound like something you have had before?

Thanks

Ben L
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

Default Re: brood disease?

Not enuf info.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Little View Post
    But what I am seeing is a very few amount of cells that are slightly uncapped with pin holes in them , and when I scratch them open , I see a rubbery brownish pupae with an undeveloped head . The hive has great brood patterns and is very strong as well .

Could this be Sacbrood ?
    Sounds like Sac. Does the dead pupa appear to have a thin membraneous sac around it?

I will pull out some tomorrow and take photos.
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

Hit em with some terramycin just in case, sounds like sac brood and somtimes bad varroa outbreaks can cause that

Quote Originally Posted by Rcard86 View Post
    Hit em with some terramycin just in case, sounds like sac brood and somtimes bad varroa outbreaks can cause that
    Isn't Sac Brood a viral disease? If so, an antibiotic would not help. Seems an inspector once told me the best thing for SB was a good honey flow....
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

I was suggesting usning it as a preventative in case hes in the early stages of AFB

Quote Originally Posted by Rcard86 View Post
    Not a good idea in my opinion until what is going on has been determined. At first it sounds like it could be AFB or sacbrood, though nothing about a waterfilled sac was mentioned. That's why I wrote not enuf info. Jumping from assumed diagnosis to treatment suggestions is beyond premature.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter