Default When to Add 3rd Box

New Warre keeper here....I installed 1-1/2 packages in each of my two-box hives this past Saturday (May 11th) and did my first inspections yesterday...I was very surprised to see that at 5 days, both hives had drained the hive-top feeders (WarreStore) which had 3 qts in each at install...they were bone dry !...such gluttons...Anyway, they have already drawn down about 60% comb in the top boxes and approx. 25% in the bottom boxes.. I have been a little concerned from reading other posts that bottom boxes often are difficult to get the bees to move down to. So I guess I should feel a lucky so far. My question is when should I think about placing a third box on each hive and should it be nadired ? I have a beekeeper mentor (albeit with Langstoth hives) that suggested when the top box gets 60% capped, then go ahead and add the 3rd box. Any ideas or suggestions ?

Thanks

Default Re: When to Add 3rd Box

Your mentor is right. Wait at least until the second box is about to be finished. And make sure there is a constant food supply.

Thanks Bernhard...much appreciated....I will keep feeding them a little longer, but there is quite a lot of natural food for them right now. When adding the 3rd box to the bottom, would there be a reason or advantage to swap the two current boxes, putting the more fully draw/capped box in the middle, moving the less drawn box up to the top ?

No reason to swap boxes. Just keep the broodnest growing. Usually they draw three boxes n the first year, the bottom box half to 3/4 drawn. Next Spring you can swap that started bottom box to the top, to get the nectar out of the broodnest and to prevent the nest from getting honey bound. But not in their first year.

Thanks so much Bernard for the helpful advice