Default Caught Swarm outside of hives

Hello

I was just out checking around the hives and luckily happened along on a fair size swarm sitting on the ground. They had landed on some branches and my guess is, the swarm got too heavy for the branch and it bent to the ground. Anyways, I got the swarm into another box but, wasn't sure what to do next. I have read they should be moved or, when the foragers get back with a new location...they could take off there so, since I was able to box the majority, I simply locked them in the box with screened bottom board for lots of ventilation. I also left another nuc size box to collect the foragers coming back with honey & frames.

Can I leave them in the same location? Should I leave them in the box for 48 - 72 hrs, I thought I read that somewhere?

Anyways, any suggestions you guys have as always...is great

Norb

Default Re: Caught Swarm outside of hives

welcome to beesource norb!

i usually leave the box open and in place until the end of the day, and then move it to the desired location.

if it is a brand new box with brand new frames, your chances of keeping that swarm increase greatly if you can add a frame of brood from another hive.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Thanks! I was hoping to find a reason to post

Really...I was thought I was supposed to lock them in and bring them to another location as, the scouts might otherwise convince them of a new location they find. The swarm was no more then 15' from the main hives so, I would really just be moving them back there. They did behave like they were liken their new home though.

This was from my production hive. A swarmy one no doubt because, it feels like the snow just flew up here. I am still in my mite treatments...whahhhh. So, I have 4 nucs on the go with good strong mated queens. What do I do? Try and requeen the hive that swarmed by robbing my nuc?... **** bees, I swore I wouldn't let them get ahead of me this year...

Peace

i haven't been at this too long myself norb, but i think i would take a frame with a little brood on it from a strong nuc and put it in with the swarm. i don't believe you'll have any trouble incorporating the new hive into your existing yard.

you shouldn't have to requeen the parent colony, they are in the process of doing that for themselves. but it doesn't hurt to check them for a laying queen in a couple of weeks to make sure they got the job done.

if they do end up queenless, you can get a queen or combine them with one of your queenright colonies.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives