Default Bees glued the top and bottom frames together and there's brood in it....

Hi there - it's my first year beekeeping - just got my bees a month ago. I put on another medium super about 3 weeks ago and they've already drawn out the comb. I went in to inspect the frames before putting on another super, but as I was lifting the frames, the middle section was glued to the top of the lower section - and I saw I was pulling apart some brood cells. What should I do? Cut my losses and scrape off this extra bunch of comb and lose this chunk of brood? Would love some advice. Thank you.

Default Re: Bees glued the top and bottom frames together and there's brood in it....

Depending on how big the brood comb is you could rubberband it into a frame if you think there is enough you want to save otherwise yes just clean it up and move on.

Default Re: Bees glued the top and bottom frames together and there's brood in it....

Quote Originally Posted by BeeGirlBeeGirl View Post
    Cut my losses and scrape off this extra bunch of comb and lose this chunk of brood? Would love some advice. Thank you.
    I'm sure you'll be safe they should be building fast right now in NJ. When you lift your deeps twist as you lift if you feel them sticking together and work them with you hive tool works for me .
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

If you use all plastic frames for some reason they can stick them together really really well. You have to tip the top box up and reach under it with a hive tool and pop the bottom ones loose. The main thing I don't like about all plastic frames.

It is likely drone brood cells. Very little loss to the colony if you dispose of it. Maybe some gain for a first year colony.

How are your carpenter skills? You will get very little interbar comb is you maintain proper bee space between frames. (1/4 to 3/8 inch) Check the distance before committing the boxes to the backyard.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    tip the top box up and reach under it with a hive tool and pop the bottom ones loose. The main thing I don't like about all plastic frames.
    This has become my routine, too. It's nice to have 2 hive tools.
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -Frank Zappa

I have had to lay the two boxes down on their back and separate them they were together so bad. Lots of brood comb in between. I hadn't been expecting that. But it came apart ok, and when it's laying on the ground, there's not so much lifting required.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

It's drone brood, great for pulling larvae and looking at mites during an inspection since most of it will be broken open when you separate the frames.