Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Default Re: Large pesticide bee-kill in minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by drewbs View Post
    what i dont understand are beekeepers that still go around pollinating crops that ... are GMO,
    Which crops that require pollination are GMO? And, how does that fact that a plant is GMO make it toxic to bees?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by TWall View Post
    Which crops that require pollination are GMO? And, how does that fact that a plant is GMO make it toxic to bees? )

Tom
    Not Almonds, Not blueberries, not melons, not squash..... can't think of one. Maybe Drewbs knows something we do not....
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Canola and cotton perhaps? Soybeans?

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    Canola and cotton perhaps?
    Neither require bees for pollination..... but you can make honey off them....
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

http://soybeanreview.com/article/bees-and-soybeans-0

There may be a question or two about how both native and managed pollinators interact with soybeans.

Corn pollen does get taken by Honeybees, even though corn is self pollinating.

Don't be so sure about what the pollinators are doing out there in the field.

http://soybeanreview.com/article/bees-and-soybeans-0

There may be a question or two about how both native and managed pollinators interact with soybeans.

Corn pollen does get taken by Honeybees, even though corn is self pollinating.

Don't be so sure about what the pollinators are doing out there in the field.
    Of course, no one pays you to pollinate either of these. I assumed that was what we were talking about.

Soybeans are an interesting plant... some places in the this country bees seem to really go after SB... making a real honey crop, but mostly bees seem to ignore the plant. Now corn.... it is rare to find a bee in GMO field corn... I don't think you could make a bee pollinate the stuff, but garden corn is quite different.

Perhaps Monsanto, et al. are missing a key opportunity to not only increase yields, and support managed pollination by making ALL of their GMO crops attractive to Honeybees while also increasing yields for farmers.

It's a political 'trump card' to boot.

I sometimes think that Monsanto just doesn't think things through.

Perhaps Monsanto, et al. are missing a key opportunity to not only increase yields, and support managed pollination by making ALL of their GMO crops attractive to Honeybees while also increasing yields for farmers.

)
    At the moment it seems to be the first thing they turn off. Perhaps nectar/tasty pollen production is a drain on the productivity of the plant? I doubt it though.

Nah, though it could bee a drain on their profits! You have to think small, very small. Their, patented DNA is flying all over the place...

WLC

im confused with your point. "abrasion of active substance from treated seeds during sowing of maize" mentioned in your article = "planter dust problem" (which is exactly what Jonathan said).

[QUOTE=WLC;946957]jonathan:

"The issue is whether this happens under field conditions and if it does, how frequent an event is that. Other than the planter dust problem, which is clearly a serious issue to address, the evidence for problems under field conditions is scant to say the least."

I think that the above statement ignores studies like the following:

>
    Hazards of pesticides to bees – 10th International Symposium of the ICP-Bee Protection Group
    118 Julius-Kühn-Archiv 423, 2009
    Bee poisoning incidents in Germany in spring 2008 caused by abrasion of active
    substance from treated seeds during sowing of maize

btw, an enlightening article on GMO plants on Randy Oliver's site:

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/sick...dified-plants/

My point was that there are field studies, and the evidence isn't 'scant'.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112