Default Update on Hal's log hives

Hal is the main person who got me interested in log hives. He set up his first hive in June 2011 and the second one in about May 2012. Both sets of bees eventually left sometime last year.
    Both hives stood empty for a few months. On April 18 his wife noticed a swarm of bees flying INTO one of them. A few days later, he noticed the other log was occupied. I was intrigued. Swarms that I see are usually leaving a place. He caught a lot of it on his iPhone. I followed up with some video last week as well as some photos of Patti's colorful multi-level garden.
    You can see the bee swarm flying into his log hive...
    http://solarbeez.com/2013/05/15/hal-...es-and-garden/

Default Re: Update on Hal's log hives

I guess in Oregon you can have log hives?

Apparently, although I don't think it's encouraged. I started my first one last year with the dictum: No feeding, no meds, no miticides. It made it through the winter and threw 6 swarms. We were able to to hive three of them. A small one was dropped into Bee-atrice, my new log hive, on April 21. It was a cast swarm so I'm aware that the queen was probably not mated yet, but the bees are bringing pollen in, which is somewhat of a good sign.
    http://solarbeez.com/2013/04/28/meet...-to-bee-beard/

pretty neat. sadly log hives without frames are not allowed in my state

Quote Originally Posted by Kamon Reynolds View Post
    pretty neat. sadly log hives without frames are not allowed in my state
    And the reasoning behind that is? I just don't get politicians. . bees have enough trouble. We have to worry about what kind of furniture is in the hive?

has to do with brood diseases. The state apiarist needs to be able to inspect the frames. Don't see them cutting down bee trees though....

Same with Warre hives. If I have a warre, I have to be able to remove the frames. Just able to use the size, quilt, and method of stacking bottom up.