Default Need a queen in CT ASAP

The short story: Need one, preferably two, queens ASAP. I'm in Naugatuck, but willing to drive basically anywhere in the state, or over the border into NY or MA.

The long story: Two hives had queens in March, had no queens in April. Gave them both a frame of eggs from a hive started from a split last July. On the 4th, there were 9 capped queens cells in one hive, and 4 in the other. On the 11th, the remaining queen cells in one looked like they were ripped open from the side, there were no remnants in the other hive. As of today, there are still no eggs, and I cannot find a queen in either hive. Meanwhile, the split died and/or absconded, leaving me with two queen-less hives and no way to raise more queens.

I've been looking around online to order a queen, but I'm worried about the delay. Since neither hive has had a real population boost in over a month, I kind of feel like, at this point, it's a race against time to get a queen in and get her laying, and loosing another week waiting for one to be shipped makes me uncomfortable.

Can anyone help me out?

Default Re: Need a queen in CT ASAP

Well, you're in luck, as long as you have drones... I have some Bee Weaver virgin queens that I took out of a swarm-ready hive. Give me a call at 203-435-8248. lets see if we can get you one!

> 11th

So the virgins emerged on the 11th. You should have eggs by the 25th... way too early now... You have virgin queens that are not mated yet.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmath.htm

If you introduce a laying queen, they will kill her.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    > 11th

So the virgins emerged on the 11th. You should have eggs by the 25th... way too early now... You have virgin queens that are not mated yet.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmath.htm

If you introduce a laying queen, they will kill her.
    Thanks for the input, Michael. I found the bee math on your page and worked it out, and realized that I may have jumped the gun a little early. I just didn't want to end up with no hives this year. Guess I'll wait and see.

I've got several capped cells, Carniolan, that are due to hatch out This coming Tuesday or Wednesday if your interested.
    I'm close by in Southington.
    jonmcadoo@rocketmail.com