Thread: Working OB hive

Default Working OB hive

Getting ready to make a working OB hive for the office, any problem with having the entrance at the top opposed to the bottom? I need to run the entrance hose above my door so can't have the entrance at the bottom.

Default Re: Working OB hive

I don't know why there would be a problem. Sounds like a good idea, hope everything works out. Post some pics when it's finished!

Anyone have an idea for max length of hose for entrance. I will need to go about 3 1/2 feet to extend it past the entry door of the office.

The hose length should be OK. It's the only opening they have to come and go so they'll use it just fine. Make it a clear hose, so you can see them come and go and see if there is any clogs or problems over time.

Clear is a good idea i will try that. Thanks

rtoney
    Let me know when it is finished. I would like to see it.
    Jim

Here's what's in my office. Keep easy to work in mind when you're making it. http://s196.photobucket.com/user/Dre...01613528626094 Mine is going into my 3rd or 4th year. I absolutely love it though you need to stay on top of it (i.e. be prepaired to work it) as it's size makes it more prone to swarming.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

I had seen your OB some time ago, mine may not be that fancy but it is based on your design.

If the entrance is at the top will the house bees have problems removing dead bees? I researched OB hives some time ago and one I saw had this problem. Well the entrance was at the bottom but a pvc pipe went up, they just put a box container at the bottom and empty the dead bees from time to time.

>If the entrance is at the top will the house bees have problems removing dead bees?

In my experience an underpopulated hive will have problems no matter where the entrance is. A well populated hive will no problems no matter where the entrance is. Over winter they always accumulate.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF