Default Pollen in old frames

I was wondering if the unused pollen stored in the frames is used by the bees the next year. If there's a lot in some frames, should I just get rid of it and add foundation?

Tanya

Default Re: Pollen in old frames

I probably should have said a little more- I want to use some of the frames from last years lost colonies and was wondering if I can use those that have lots of pollen in the cells. OR should I cut those out and start with new foundation. Does pollen keep from year to year-- OR how long?
    Tanya

I use it from previous years but sometimes that pollen is like cement so I never take for granted that the pollen will be good.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I don't remove it if it's in the hive, as it sounds yours is. If I've stored the frames outside of a hive, then I wash it out with a water hose and let them air out for a day or two before using in a hive.

I didn't know you could hose out the frames. Mine aren't in the hive right now though, I thought a frame full of only pollen or mostly pollen had to be cut out and disposed of.

Tanya

I got a swarm call a few weeks ago, and inadvertently grabbed some old pollen frames that I had sorted out to be cleaned up when I went to catch it. So about 4 pounds of bees got hived on it, and they cleaned it out for the brood area, and stored honey on top of the rest. Once they were well established i gave them a box of frames that had been gnawed down to the plastic foundation by wax moths - which they promptly cleaned up and started drawing out. Looks like they are fine with it. Amazing what a crowded box of motivated bees can accomplish durring a good flow.

Oh, that's great. I was getting low on empty drawn out foundation and was hoping to use these pollen bound, but good, frames. Thanks for sharing.
    Tanya