Default Splitting early? Introducing new queen.

I have a Poor preforming queen in a top bar nuc, She has been laying a little bit more since the start of the nectar flow, but still not bringing the population to where I want to see it.

I dont have the heart to kill her, but I was thinking of spliting this weak hive and introducing my own locally purchased mated queen. Moving 2 bars of brood and 1 bar of honey.

My questions are

1. Can a weak hive like this survive a split?

2. Can I direct release a new queen in a hive two or three days after splitting and have acceptance?

Default Re: Splitting early? Introducing new queen.

>1. Can a weak hive like this survive a split?

Probably not.

>2. Can I direct release a new queen in a hive two or three days after splitting and have acceptance?

Never direct release a queen that the bees have never met. Leave them queenless overnight (I would cage the old queen "in case" with four or so attendants) and introduce the new queen with a candy cage or a push in cage. I would never leave them queenless longer than 24 hours. Overnight is as good as it gets.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Default Re: Splitting early? Introducing new queen.

Thank you Michael, your a gentleman and a scholar!