Default Newspaper combine queenright nuc with queenless hive?

I have read many posts about issues of queenless hives not accepting a new queen. I've also read that an actively laying queen is more readily accepted. But I don't remember seeing any suggestions to place a queenright nuc over a queenless hive with newspaper. Is this not a good way to overcome the acceptance issue? I'm thinking of getting a couple of new queens, and instead of introducing them directly to a booming hive, starting them in nucs and then making the hive queenless for a few hours and using the above method. Pros and cons?

Default Re: Newspaper combine queenright nuc with queenless hive?

You might have better luck if you give them a frame of open brood each week for a couple of weeks first.

I hopefully have or will have a couple of queens in mating nucs which for me are 5 frames. I have one hive that needs a new queen and this is exactly what I was planning. If I end up with 2 queens then I will split the failing hive into 2. I am tagging along to see if there are cons.

That's what I do sometimes. Turn the top brood box of the colony to be re-queened into the nuc. Has to have brood in all stages. Elevate over inner cover, escape hole closed, entrance to rear. Give a caged queen. Three weeks later, kill old queen below and unite over newspaper.

Ross, I don't want them to make their own queen, so why the brood? I'm just going to be requeening a big healthy hive because I want to switch from Italian to Carny on my front porch for gentleness and better brood control in dearth and winter. But I've read that particularly big hives resist accepting a new queen.

Mike, when you say "top brood box" are you referring to the brood nest at the bottom of the hive or placing the nuc at the very top above the inner cover just like overwintering a nuc above a hive and then combining?. So just allow pheromones to mix for 3 weeks, then newspaper combine after killing the old queen? Would a double screen board work as well or better than a inner hive cover--I use screen inner cover

But also wonder if this will work for hives that are queenless because they failed to raise a queen but before laying workers take over and you want to give them a queen rather than allowing them to make their own by giving them eggs.
    Last edited by thenance007; 05-16-2013 at 09:16 PM.

He's suggesting brood because he's thinking laying worker, not just queenless.