Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Laying worker after 3 days of installing?

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Mrobisr 
#1 ·
I installed 3 pound packages three days ago into a few different hives. I checked and all Queens were released. The hives are REALLY eager to work, they even pushed out the grass that I plugged the entrances with in order to begin their flights. I noticed 1 hive had a fair amount of drawn comb already and there were eggs laid as well. I saw a few cells that did have 2 eggs in them.

Can this be common during the first few days/weeks after an install, until things get, "settled?" Or....should I be concerned already about something bad taking place, such as a laying worker/ Thanks, juzzer

#4 ·
a bit more info would help. but anyhow, If these are new frames with no comb or little open comb on old frames then it is simply a case that the queen is laying more eggs that there is space, so she is doubleing up. if they are in the bottem of the cell they are probably from the queen.

#8 ·
Mrobisr- Don't feel bad you weren't able to burst my bubble. I needed to take the Queen cages out and I took a quick look as I pulled some comb off of the top bars so it would be a problem when I did my inspection. The hive is only 1 medium at this time so I wasn't doing much digging. I am still floating high and happy on my bubble. Thanks anyway, juzzer

#10 ·
I have heard that young queens will lay more than one eg per cell. I have also heard that fertile queens that have been prevented from laying or with limited spce to lay may also lay more than one egg per cell. Another way to diagnose layign workers is that often teh eggs from a layign worker will not be in teh center of teh botom of teh cell and they may also be placed on the wall of the cell.

#11 ·
>Another way to diagnose layign workers is that often teh eggs from a layign worker will not be in teh center of teh botom of teh cell and they may also be placed on the wall of the cell.

The only issue with that is that drone laying queens who were mated late do also.

"I should also, Sir, describe to you the remarkable manner in which the queens that lay only drone eggs deposit them sometimes in the cells. They do not always place them upon the lozenges forming the bottom of the cells, but often deposit them upon the lower side, two lines (11/64th in. or 4mm) from the mouth. The reason of this is that their belly is shorter than those of queens whose fecundation has not been retarded, their posterior extremity remains slender, while the first two rings next the corselet are extraordinarily enlarged: it results from this that, when they dispose themselves for laying, their anus cannot extend down to the lozenges at the bottom of the cells: the enlargement of the rings not permitting it; and consequently the eggs must remain attached to the part reached by the anus. The larvae proceeding from these spend their vermicular state in the same place, which proves that bees are not entrusted with the care of transporting the eggs of the queen, as had been presumed. But in this case they follow another plan; they lengthen the cells in which eggs are thus placed 2 lines beyond their opening. Note: This observation also teaches us that the eggs of bees need not be fixed by one end at the bottom of the cells in order to be fertile."--Francis Huber, Huber's New Observations Upon Bees, Vol I 3rd Letter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.