Default Adding 1st honey super.....any downfalls?

Last night I did the 1st inspection of a strong over wintered hive(2 deep hive bodies). Lots of sealed drone cells, which I scraped all off of the bottom bars. It seemed to me that the population of bees is quite large. I saw a few Queen cups, but did not happen to notice any Queen cells in my quick inspection. They are bringing in pollen and have been storing sugar syrup, but it seems that they may have started to slow down over the past week. The dandelions have been blooming for the past week and there are many blossoms of other flowers around as well. I think that now would be a good time to place my 1st honey super on, with the large colony and with much in bloom happening. I am planning on placing the 1st honey super on today and removing my feeder bucket.

My question is in a few parts. With this as my current scenario, would YOU recommend placing the 1st honey super on at this time? Also, if I did place the super on at this time, are there any negatives/downfalls that might come with if it WAS too early to put it on? What could I look for to tell whether or not to leave it on or take it back off over the course of a few days?Thanks, juzzer

Default Re: Adding 1st honey super.....any downfalls?

I've never fed right up to the time that I added a honey super. The problem with that is that you can't tell it's time for the super. After many years, I know when to add supers in my area, but I learned from watching for storage of nectar (not sugar syrup) in the brood area and white comb being built near the tops of of the top frames in the brood area. It is probably location based, but people on Beesource seem feed way more than I ever have. I'll feed a couple of gallons at the most to empty hives, but if they have any stored honey, "no sugar water for you!"

Anyway, the question of when to put honey supers on is very location dependent. Even a few miles can make a couple of weeks difference. If you stop feeding and they are still storing nectar it's probably time.

Default Re: Adding 1st honey super.....any downfalls?

So what is the concern if I decide to place a super and it is not quite nectar collecting time? I have not become a pro at determining when nectar is coming in versus the bees collecting pollen but only storing syrup. Thanks, juzzer