Default Tell me again why we use entrance reducers?

Do most of you remove entrance reducers when the main flow starts? I have a new nuc that has been hived for 10 days. I don't have an entrance reducer available so I keep trying to reduce the opening with folded grass. Within an hour or so the bees pull the grass out and fully open the hive. Even with a fully opened entrance there are maybe 50 bees or so flying around the entrance waiting to get in. We are having some nice dry weather for a change and are in the middle of our big Privet bloom. They are drawing and filling new comb.

Can I keep the entrance open or should I pull out the table saw and cut a new entrance reducer? Maybe install it after the main flow?

Thanks

Default Re: Tell me again why we use entrance reducers?

I always have a problem with robbers when I remove mine all they way, you may not.
    All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.

I'm guessing you have more then one hive if so the entrance reducer might be a good idea if the hive your talking about is weak {being a nuc and all} i say leave it on till you have two deeps full of bees thats what i do . I'd go with 3in .
    I just took must of my.entrance reducers off but still have 2 with them on slow builders so far this spring .
    Good luck with your bees.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

I like to see guard bees two deep on porch before expanding entry.
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

I have one inch diameter holes that's it when they out grow the nuc and need a ten frame home they get a three inch opening.

OK

I should have mentioned that I just hived three nucs. The weakest hive has an entrance reducer but it was a bad nuc when I received and I may have to replace the Q. There are foragers returning but this hive is not building up as fast as the other two. The other new hive is the strongest of the three, It has filled the first brood chamber and I just added ten frames.

I'll install the entrance reducer in the morning and see if it helps the hive build up a bit faster.

Thanks for the advice

I have almost never used an entrance reducer in over 40 years. I use 3/8" deep by full width entrances. My nuc boxes have an 1 1/8" round entrance.

A piece of scrap cut to any lenghth you like works. Unless you get skunks or mice pulling it off, just set against the side works as well as cut to fit and under the edge. I keep a bunch of 3/4 square and add and subtract to get the opening I want. Set back from the hive side about 3/8 it makes a good wind break when wide open.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    I have almost never used an entrance reducer in over 40 years. I use 3/8" deep by full width entrances. My nuc boxes have an 1 1/8" round entrance.
    That is a reduced entrance compared to what most hives have, so another way of putting it would be that in 40 years you have always used a reduced entrance.

I have a colony that is just starting. there is a small hole in the back of one of the boxes where a knot split at the edge of the wood. the bees use this as an entrance rather than the full open front entrance.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

I used Saltybee's idea and cut a couple of pieces of 1x2. I reduced the entrance to about 3 inches, glad I was suited up they where not happy to see me. I reduced the week hive to one inch. Seems like when reducing an entrance you want to align the new with the old. The bees returning to the week hive kind of fumbled around outside until I realigned the opening. Maybe I have stupid bees? I'll keep an eye on them, curious to see if they build up faster with the smaller entrances.

If I am out and don't have a reducer I can usually find a broken tree branch laying around that will work in a pinch.