I didn't do mite counts last fall. Shame on me. Fall before I did. Some DWV but counts were single digits. This was August. I tell this story a lot on this forum but it changed my bee keeping world. And,,,,it is the only one I have like it so far LOL That spring, I caught a swarm. Did well till late summer. Lots of DWV in front of the hive. Hive population was dwindling. Did an alcohol wash mite count. Stopped counting at forty. Man I was bummed. Majority advice was to just treat, or they would die. I thought about bagging them because I needed the resources for some of my other hives. A few advised to see what happens, you never know. Made it through the winter, exploded late spring and pretty sure they swarmed. They made a new queen at least as the swarm queen was marked. Slow on the spring build up this year but are doing fine.
Whatever works for you and your bees and makes the hobby, in my case, enjoyable and worth it.