Default Virgin Queen in a Laying Worker Hive

Two packages, both queenless in the first week. Sheesh! Even better than that, my hives are incompatible. The Lang has one queen cell among two dozen capped worker larvae (no eggs or young larvae). the Top Bar has laying workers. They're even building new comb and as soon as the cells are deep enough, several eggs are laid in it.

I bought a virgin queen and introduced her to the laying worker top bar hive. I smoked the hive heavily and slipped the queen right out onto the comb. I watched for a while, but the colony just seemed to ignore her. I took this as a good sign.

Questions: Because the virgin was ignored, is there a pretty good chance they won't ball her later? And, how long before I check to see if she has mated and is laying? She is less than a week old, and there are wild bees in the vicinity.
    If I'm neither sanguine, phlegmatic, choleric, nor melancholy, does that mean I'm out of humour?

Default Re: Virgin Queen in a Laying Worker Hive

In one week you should know if she made it or not. Hopefully she did.
    Sometimes they accepted a virgin more than a laying queen. Other times they
    accepted the laying queen more than a virgin. It really depends on the mood
    of the worker bees. I think older workers are more willing to accept a laying
    queen than a virgin. But the young nurse bees and newly hatched bees like the virgin better.

I'm finding this out right now, I'm sure my virgin queen flew on a mating flight yesterday, lots of fanning going on and I could smell the hive a good 30-40' away, and a lot of the population were out on the landing (more fanning)..... So I hope she made it and I figure I'll take a look for eggs Sunday/Monday......

> I took this as a good sign.

Yes, it's a good sign...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF