Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Relocating Cross Country

6K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Beeboy01 
#1 ·
I am accepting a position with a company that require me to relocate from DC to Seattle this August. Is it even feasible to move a few (three) hives that sort of distance or should I expect to simply find a new home for them locally? If it is feasible, how do you even go about it?

#2 ·
I am sure there are honey bees in Seattle. Many beekeepers there when you
do a search on the net. August is almost close to the Fall so
it is better to find some local bees there. If you really like your queens then you
can set up a hive or 2 in Seattle and bring your queens along to requeen the new hives
there. Someone here mentioned to bring a few queens on the plane inside a mesh
wire screen cage. If I can get a frame of bees and a new queen in late winter of last year then you
can definitely do this one. You can either sell off, donate, or have someone to take care
of your existing bees. I would like to donate in case I want some queens from my favorite hives
to be ship to Seattle the next year. What a great way to make a hive split and genetic not lost.

#4 ·
While it is totally possible to move the hives I just can't see the justification of moving 3 of them. If you give the bees away you can bring your equipment and install packages in the spring.
Commercial beeks haul thousands of hives successfully because that is their focus. The bees are their bread and butter. Hauling 3 hives as a sideline to all of your other belongings sounds like a real pain in the butt.

Mike

#6 ·
Sell the whole hives local, take the $$ and use it to rebuild in Seattle. Boxes and frames are pretty cheap from Western Bee Supply in Polson, MT. If you drive I-90 to Seattle through Montana, Western is less than an hour off the interstate, no turns. Heck, I'd drive through MT one the way even if it was out of the way...

#9 ·
I agree with M.B. on the logistical side. Fuelling up could be tricky. You probably do not want to leave bees at gas stations. Somebody is sure to object. If it were me, I would try and sell my hives and buy others in Seattle. Moving is challenging enough without the added risk and hassle of a few hives that you keep as a hobby. Keep it simple.

Jean-Marc

#12 ·
What if they decide to check because of the buzzing noise? 3 hives
put together on the same location will make a lot of buzzing noise
when they cannot go outside in the day time. I had transported 2 full
colonies before and they are really loud after being 4 hours all cooped up
inside their hives.

#13 ·
california is the only state i've ever been to/through that has a point of entry where every vehicle has to go through and be inspected for produce, livestock, etc. my point is that if you don't have to alert the authorities to what's inside the van, then why bother? and i don't think you have to in most/all states except california.

#15 ·
I moved a hive from PA down to Florida during August in an enclosed trailer with no real problems. The hive had the entrance closed up with screening and had a screened top cover strapped to it. The boxes and bottom board were held together with plywood scabs screwed in place to keep them from shifting. I drapped a soaking wet bath towel over the entire hive to help keep it cool and every fuel stop I dumped more water on it keeping it wet for the entire 2 day trip. The bees made it with no problems but it was a bit of work. It can be done if you want to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.