Default Relocating Cross Country

I am accepting a position with a company that require me to relocate from DC to Seattle this August. Is it even feasible to move a few (three) hives that sort of distance or should I expect to simply find a new home for them locally? If it is feasible, how do you even go about it?

Default Re: Relocating Cross Country

I am sure there are honey bees in Seattle. Many beekeepers there when you
    do a search on the net. August is almost close to the Fall so
    it is better to find some local bees there. If you really like your queens then you
    can set up a hive or 2 in Seattle and bring your queens along to requeen the new hives
    there. Someone here mentioned to bring a few queens on the plane inside a mesh
    wire screen cage. If I can get a frame of bees and a new queen in late winter of last year then you
    can definitely do this one. You can either sell off, donate, or have someone to take care
    of your existing bees. I would like to donate in case I want some queens from my favorite hives
    to be ship to Seattle the next year. What a great way to make a hive split and genetic not lost.

Commercial beeks haul thousands of hives to the almonds in California every year, so there is no reason you cannot haul 3 hives to Washington if you really want to. If it was me, I'd probably go to the Commercial Forum and ask for some tips and things to look out for.

JMO

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

While it is totally possible to move the hives I just can't see the justification of moving 3 of them. If you give the bees away you can bring your equipment and install packages in the spring.
    Commercial beeks haul thousands of hives successfully because that is their focus. The bees are their bread and butter. Hauling 3 hives as a sideline to all of your other belongings sounds like a real pain in the butt.

Mike
    Beekeeper? Shoot, my bees keep me!
    100 hives in Western Wa State

Thanks all. I figured it would be a real pain in the butt for little reward ... but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something simple. I think we'll find someone local that will take the bees and we'll just ship the (empty) hives and start again in the spring.

Sell the whole hives local, take the $$ and use it to rebuild in Seattle. Boxes and frames are pretty cheap from Western Bee Supply in Polson, MT. If you drive I-90 to Seattle through Montana, Western is less than an hour off the interstate, no turns. Heck, I'd drive through MT one the way even if it was out of the way...

> Boxes and frames are pretty cheap from Western Bee Supply in Polson, MT.

And there is no state sales tax in Montana!

http://www.westernbee.com/
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Last time I moved a long distance, I put the hives in the moving van last (U-Haul) and left the back door cracked (a little rigging to get it so it was reliably closed, yet a little open) and drove them to the new location. It wasn't the heat of summer.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I agree with M.B. on the logistical side. Fuelling up could be tricky. You probably do not want to leave bees at gas stations. Somebody is sure to object. If it were me, I would try and sell my hives and buy others in Seattle. Moving is challenging enough without the added risk and hassle of a few hives that you keep as a hobby. Keep it simple.

Jean-Marc

In a situation like this. Do we need any certificate for the bees to
    go thru state to state?

Quote Originally Posted by beepro View Post
    In a situation like this. Do we need any certificate for the bees to
    go thru state to state?
    my first response is "don't ask, don't tell" to keep it simple. if asked then plead ignorance.
    I'm the dude, so that's what you call me.

What if they decide to check because of the buzzing noise? 3 hives
    put together on the same location will make a lot of buzzing noise
    when they cannot go outside in the day time. I had transported 2 full
    colonies before and they are really loud after being 4 hours all cooped up
    inside their hives.

california is the only state i've ever been to/through that has a point of entry where every vehicle has to go through and be inspected for produce, livestock, etc. my point is that if you don't have to alert the authorities to what's inside the van, then why bother? and i don't think you have to in most/all states except california.
    I'm the dude, so that's what you call me.

I've moved a few times. You can turn it into a fun adventure or a nightmare of stress and worry. Driving across the country worrying about the bees your hauling wont enrich your life.
    Are you married? Run it by the spouse.....hehehe!

I moved a hive from PA down to Florida during August in an enclosed trailer with no real problems. The hive had the entrance closed up with screening and had a screened top cover strapped to it. The boxes and bottom board were held together with plywood scabs screwed in place to keep them from shifting. I drapped a soaking wet bath towel over the entire hive to help keep it cool and every fuel stop I dumped more water on it keeping it wet for the entire 2 day trip. The bees made it with no problems but it was a bit of work. It can be done if you want to.