Default Reusing drawn frames with much honey and pollen in?

I am using drawn frames from last year for one of this year hives. They are frames that were from the hive body/brood nest. The frames have a lot of pollen, uncapped and capped honey still in them from last year.

As I inspected this new hive yesterday for my Queen to be released, I started to get a bit concerned about when the right time will be to add the next deep. I have read to wait until 75-85% of the frames have been worked with eggs, pollen and honey. Since pretty much all of the frames are quite full of pollen and honey already, is there a more accurate assessment that I should have of knowing when to add the next box. If I had to guess I would say that all 10 frames(front and back) are currently at 75% full of honey and/or pollen. I have not seen any eggs yet.

Should I keep an eye out for a number of laid eggs, amount of bees on the top bars, or should I go ahead immediately today and add a second deep? Thanks, juzzer

Default Re: Reusing drawn frames with much honey and pollen in?

I reuse drawn comb each year when I make splits. When I find frames with a lot of pollen or honey I move those to the outer part of the box. I try and make sure the middle three to five frames have plenty of room for the queen to lay eggs. If the the current box doesn't have much room for the queen to lay you should go ahead and add another box.

If I check and there isn't enough room to lay, will adding a super solve this problem? Will they move honey up to the super making room to lay? I already have the 2 deeps on the hive. Wasn't sure if you were suggesting adding yet another deep(a 3rd) or to go ahead with my first super. Thanks, juzzer

If there are a lot of bees spread out working both boxes then I would go ahead and put on the first super, not another deep.

I have seen some hives that will move honey around a little but not much. The queen will move to where she has room to lay eggs. This sometimes includes the honey super you add. This time of year, if it hasn't already started, a nectar flow will be starting soon. You need to make sure there is enough room for additional honey as well as room for the queen to lay.

Another option you have is to swap out some of the deep frames (that are full of honey and pollen) with new empty frames. Though, I would probably start by adding on your first super.

I just realized I was thinking about 2 different hives that I have as I responded to your responses. Sorry, I was probably a bit confusing!

The new hive(1 deep) has a full house of stores and pollen in all drawn frames. The other hive is established with 2 deeps and booming with bees. This hive also has a lot of eggs, pollen and honey. I think I will add a super to that one today(the established hive).

As for the new packaged hive(3 lb. package) in the single deep, I think I will try to move the most empty frames to the middle like you initially suggested. If they are all quite full, would it be a bad idea to place 3-5 frames of plastic foundation in the middle, encouraging them to draw comb for the Queen to start laying in? Thanks, sorry again if I was confusing, juzzer

If you can find 3 or 4 frames that have sufficient room for the queen to lay, than I would just use that and save the new foundation for the second deep you'll add later.

If you can't, than it would probably work to add one or two frames of foundation. I would put at least one frame of drawn uncapped comb in between the frames of foundation.