Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

My hive is dying.

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Mr.Beeman 
#1 ·
I started my first hive last year from a nuc and it did great. Late summer I took off about 80lbs of honey and left them with two deeps full. They survived the winter, the queen was laying and pollen was starting to come in. Tonight I noticed a big pile of dead bees around the hive. Some were still alive and writhing on the ground, most are missing. I had a mentor come over to have a look and he said it is poisoning. I am rural and the corn is going in a little late this year, its been dry and windy. Neonicotinoids? I don't know but it is very disappointing.

#3 ·
You need to contact you local bee inspector or the PMRA asap. They will come inspect the bees and take samples, but these are time sensitive. Inspectors' contact info is here: http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/food/inspection/bees/info_beeinspectors.htm

The PMRA incident reporting information is here:
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pest/part/protect-proteger/incident/index-eng.php

The Ontario provincial apiarist spoke at our last beekeeping meeting. 70% of the incidents from last year tested positive for the neonictinoid clothianidin. Most were linked to corn planting. 40 beekeepers reported incidents at over 200 beeyards. There is an official report due out anytime from the PMRA.

The only way to stop this is with empirical evidence. The bee inspector will inspect your hive to ensure that it was poisoning and also to ensure that it can't be argued that the die off was due to "other factors."

All that being said, I am really sorry about the colony loss. I too had a single colony going into winter last year. When you only have one, you have a lot invested in it. The provincial apiarist did say that some colonies did recover after losing most of their field force.

Again, really sorry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.