Thread: Feed Bee

Default Feed Bee

Need some opinions. I've never fed a pollen sub in my life, but last couple of years I've had a couple of sites suffering from pollen shortage.

Keith's product is not available in my country but Feed Bee is, so any opinions on the product?
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Default Re: Feed Bee

May be outdated but I found the difference of feedpro with some pollen and without interesting;
    http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/pub..._no_115=222757
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

I used it last spring for the first time on a trusted friend's recommendation. We had hit a weird pollen dearth around September/October and hives just stopped in their tracks, right when I needed them building for kiwifruit pollination.

Was pretty well accepted by the majority of hives. It certainly produced a response and, frankly, saved my butt.

However, it was the first season I've used it, the dearth was a bit of a freak event that even caught John B by surprise, and I've no other product to compare it to. Except for possibly using it to spark a build up in late winter to go into stonefruit pollination, I'm not entirely sure what the benefit margin would be for me here in a typical spring.

Thanks Dee, yes that's what happened to me also, a spring pollen dearth where they normally have sufficient, and, as per your experience, the bees just did nothing, till they started getting some pollen.

Not sure if it was a freak, but I do recall bees at the same site doing poorly the previous year, but never really having had a pollen shortage in my life, I didn't look for that so don't now know. Following season though, suddenly noticed there was NIL pollen in the hives, and suspect that was the problem.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

I have used mega bee here and there. The bees seemed to do ok with it. I just put some on a leaf above the top bars or near the hole of an inner cover with space there for the bees to come get it. It's a powder and you mix it by weight 1 part powder to one and a half parts syrup. Let it sit overnight and then form it into a patty. The measuring with the scale helped. When I tried to eyeball it it was too runny. I don't know if you can get it but I figured I'd share the only pollen sub I have tried.

http://megabeediet.com/

Pollen sub MegaBee.jpg

I hope whichever one you try works well for your bees.

Oldtimer - are the amino acid levels for feed bee available? If so, Kieth could then tell you why it is not as good as his product.

Crazy Roland

I just found a video from Fat Beeman. He seems to like Mega Bee as well. He has more experience than I do
    I wish I knew more on Feed Bee. I hope I'm not off topic. Just trying to help.

Here's Fat Beeman's video. I totally dig him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M__mydyxuc

If I have been reading between the lines in prior posts correctly, adding a little egg yoke fills in some of the holes. Inedible eggs for a bulk source.

Are you able to get any latshaws bee food over there? If so try that!! He's on the forum.
    AKA BEEMAN800

Just use a good primary grown yeast and syrup on need to get fancy. I would stay away from the distillers yeast they may have some anti growth factors.

Hey thanks, what a helpful bunch of guys!

Oh, and Girl!

Useful link Saltybee, looks like feedbee is the worst of the ones they tried.

However after some investigation, Feedbee is the only one I can find available here so I've ordered a 20 kg (45 lb) bag. Cost NZ$162.50, or around US$130 ish, how does that compare with price in US?

If I can find some powdered egg yolk I'll take your suggestion Saltybee, and if it says anything about amino acids I'll report back on that.

Cool Fatbeeman video Virginiawolf.

I used it several years ago when I first got into beekeeping. My bees accepted it and did fine. It may not be as good as some of the other subs but it works.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

I have used the product, "Feed Bee". It was quite suitable for the purpose of pollen substitute. It worked at least as well as any of the many other, different ones that I have tried.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Brewers yeast, soy, egg, and oil will give you the same patty as feedbee(if not better) for much lower price.

Embarrassed Re: Feed Bee

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Hey thanks, what a helpful bunch of guys!

Oh, and Girl!

Useful link Saltybee, looks like feedbee is the worst of the ones they tried.

However after some investigation, Feedbee is the only one I can find available here so I've ordered a 20 kg (45 lb) bag. Cost NZ$162.50, or around US$130 ish, how does that compare with price in US?

If I can find some powdered egg yolk I'll take your suggestion Saltybee, and if it says anything about amino acids I'll report back on that.

Cool Fatbeeman video Virginiawolf.
    Hi Oldtimer,
    we have some areas with a lack of pollen, used feed bee this last spring as patties, have tried it in the past as liquid feed, that was ok, but now prefer feeding it as patties, 5 kg feed bee to 1 kg icing sugar, (not the shop one, get mine from Davis trading no cornstarch, ask for the one they sell to beekeepers, think it has tapioca in it) mix with about 5 litres of sugar syrup, don't use water I like this mix. If the hive doesn't take it, usually a sign of a failing queen, so they say, my limited experience it is a fair indicator she wont last. was to use it in winter pack down but been busy moving house and business, so sadly didn't keep to our wintering plan.
    also put in essential oils, contact me if you want to know more, think they take it better.

Quote Originally Posted by RAK View Post
    Brewers yeast, soy, egg, and oil will give you the same patty as feedbee(if not better) for much lower price.
    Hi Rak,
    What oil do you use and what form is the soy? There is quite a difference in the different oils.

Hi Feildbee, much thanks. If you make the patty like that, how much do you feed a hive at one time, and what kind of EO do you add?

If you mix the powder with sugar syrup do you still add powdered sugar to the mix first?

Also, I'm getting charged $60 to ship 1 bag to me from Whanganui, sounds pretty expensive? I'm going to check on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

Also, I'm getting charged $60 to ship 1 bag to me from Whanganui, sounds pretty expensive? I'm going to check on that.
    It is the shipping that kills. The more you look at feeding the more complex it gets. Much easier to supplement than substitute. Still, you only know how much the bees are supplying for themselves after the results are in.
    Starving or not starving is pretty clear, after that a pretty complex question.

Make your own or purchase? I found that was mostly a question of time spent to find ingrediants for small quantities of uncertain quality. (And a lot of leftovers.)

Competition works and bulk buying of ingrediants favors vendors from my evaluations for anything more than a small batch.
    Cost after shipping for a small quantity had me make my own. Was it the supplement or what the bees did for themselves that helped? Only the bees know.

Though I tried the many different pollen substitute products available to me. And, I did not really notice any that I would consider to have, "stood head and shoulders above the rest". I would use Nutra Bee if it were more readily available at my location (perhaps it will be some day), and I could still get it at about the same price I paid for it earlier, when a friend brought some back from California with him. I then had the opportunity to try a small amount of Nutra Bee, two years in a row. Its consistency reminded me of a "Bit O Honey" candy bar, similar to a taffy. The bees consumed it readily, and it appeared to be well converted to brood, for a larger area of brood.

Presently I use a mixture of 1/2 dry Bee Pro and 1/2 Brewer's Yeast, combined with oil, sugar, and moistened with 1:1 sugar syrup. I sometimes sprinkle in a little micronized Azomite powder (a micronutrient mineral source used as an animal feed supplement), and for patties going to queen cell builder colonies, about 1% hemp protein powder.

I obtain the Bee Pro and Nutri Brew (brewer's yeast) from Mann Lake. I buy more than $100 at a time and they charge no extra for shipping.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Quote Originally Posted by fieldbee View Post
    Hi Rak,
    What oil do you use and what form is the soy? There is quite a difference in the different oils.
    I use canola oil and soy flour from ADM. Expeller processed soy is supposed to be better than the deffated.