Default Help - Queen was outside hive

Hi,

I am a newbie beekeeper, 1st year. This afternoon I went out to my hive to observe the bees and saw the queen outside the hive surrounded by her attendants. I left for an hour or so and when I went back they were gone. Does the queen ever leave the hive? Did she return to the hive? Can anyone suggest what may have happened or is happening??

Thanks.

Default Re: Help - Queen was outside hive

Did you look for her in the hive?

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz270 View Post
    Did you look for her in the hive?
    No, that will be my next step over the weekend.

Is it a laying queen or a virgin? If a virgin, she was probably getting ready to fly for mating. If she was already laying...Maybe prepping to swarm?

Almost all of my new bees hit the road, leaving the virgin queen and about 50 bees to survive, she won't leave, threw in a drone or two to help things out, now they just hang out.
    Would I throw a nuc with eggs to help things out? There is plenty of food honey and drawn comb for them. I also have a 1 to 1 sugar water inside the hive.

Quote Originally Posted by NewJoe View Post
    Is it a laying queen or a virgin? If a virgin, she was probably getting ready to fly for mating. If she was already laying...Maybe prepping to swarm?
    I believe it was the laying queen. It is a new package and they have not even drawn out all the comb yet. The first box is not nearly full, so I don't think they are preparing to swarm. (?)

if it was a laying queen....I would be concerned.

why she is walking around outside...I don't know, with a new install maybe she hasn't made up her mind if she likes the new home yet. The only way to really know now is to give them a few days and then check to see if she is there.

If it's a new package I suspect it's the virgin (supercedure) queen on her mating flight.

I have read other beek seeing their queen outside the hive sunning herself for a few min then go back in.

I would wait a week+, anything that is happening right now the bees should have eggs/larva they can correct the problem. If there is a new queen getting ready to lay you will just disturb her, crush her, make her fly off... And if you don't find her she may just be on a mating flight.

In a week+ what you will be looking for is new eggs, young larva, queen cells, or a queen. Depending on what you find will tell the story of what happened. I believe you will find eggs and larva.

Ok. Thanks for all the suggedtions
    I will wait a week or so before i disturb them.