Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Using Inner Cover With Top Hive Feeder

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  rnsykes 
#1 ·
I am using a top hive feeder and was wondering if I should have my inner cover on top of my feeder or should I be setting my feeder on top of the inner cover? Right now I have it so the inner cover sits on top of the feeder, but I am thinking it may be better to put the feeder on top of the inner cover? Any thoughts on this and does it really matter? Check out my set up here

#2 ·
The bit issue with an inner cover is that many now come with a notch (or people put one in) and that notch may provide robbers with a way in the top and they may drown in huge numbers... I would leave it off. If it's got a notch and it's on the bottom, it provides an entrance closer to the feeder...

#5 ·
Sorry I wasn't clear, the feeder goes on hive the inner top cover goes on next then the telescoping cover. There are usually ( in the ones I saw anyways) Dado cuts in one side of the inner cover, about 1/4 inch wide. I was told in summer they go up. You tape them presumably to discourage robbing. I'm new at this but it is what the manufacturer said.

#7 ·
I am using the Mann Lake hive top feeders, and the bees are building comb up to the feeder from the tops of the frames, making it hard to remove the feeder for inspection. I am considering putting the inner cover on top of the frames and then putting the feeders on top of that. It may not work well, but I'm thinking it would be like the theory of putting extracted frames on top for the bees to clean out. I guess that's how we learn.

#8 ·
I may be able to shed some light on this even though I've just begun bee keeping. I'm learning alot from my mistakes. I am also using the Mann Lake hive top feeder. There are no directions anywhere on how to do this, so I guessed. I put the feeder on top of my first deep which just received a nuc about three weeks ago. Then the inner cover and finally the telescoping cover on top. I checked it today and found out that I made a big mistake. First of all, there were so many bees in the feeder that I can't believe there are any left in the hive. Not in the syrup, they are behind the screen just hanging out. Also, they have built up alot of comb on top of the frames and up into the "hump" in the feeder. And lastly, in the hot sun, the syrup is condensating on the bottom of the inner cover and it's starting to grow mold on the luan plywood that i built it out of. I promptly put an inner cover on top of the hive and then put the feeder back on top of that.

On a side note, If anyone has any idea as to why the bees are hanging out in the feeder, I'd love to know. They don't seem to be taking the syrup at all. I added only one gallon three weeks ago, and it's pretty much all still there. They just seem to like hanging out on that screen. I'd rather them get back to work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.