Hybrid View

Default Using Inner Cover With Top Hive Feeder

I am using a top hive feeder and was wondering if I should have my inner cover on top of my feeder or should I be setting my feeder on top of the inner cover? Right now I have it so the inner cover sits on top of the feeder, but I am thinking it may be better to put the feeder on top of the inner cover? Any thoughts on this and does it really matter? Check out my set up here
    Follow my new beekeeping adventure HERE.

Default Re: Using Inner Cover With Top Hive Feeder

The bit issue with an inner cover is that many now come with a notch (or people put one in) and that notch may provide robbers with a way in the top and they may drown in huge numbers... I would leave it off. If it's got a notch and it's on the bottom, it provides an entrance closer to the feeder...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I had exactly the same question, so I e-mailed Brushy Mountain, the manufacturer, they said put it on top but tape up slots.

Quote Originally Posted by ddoctor View Post
    I had exactly the same question, so I e-mailed Brushy Mountain, the manufacturer, they said put it on top but tape up slots.
    Put what on top? The feeder on top of the inner cover? And what slots are you talking about? Thanks.

Sorry I wasn't clear, the feeder goes on hive the inner top cover goes on next then the telescoping cover. There are usually ( in the ones I saw anyways) Dado cuts in one side of the inner cover, about 1/4 inch wide. I was told in summer they go up. You tape them presumably to discourage robbing. I'm new at this but it is what the manufacturer said.

Quote Originally Posted by ddoctor View Post
    Sorry I wasn't clear, the feeder goes on hive the inner top cover goes on next then the telescoping cover. There are usually ( in the ones I saw anyways) Dado cuts in one side of the inner cover, about 1/4 inch wide. I was told in summer they go up. You tape them presumably to discourage robbing. I'm new at this but it is what the manufacturer said.
    OK that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

That is how I have them set up now.