Default How do you refill a front entrance feeder without getting stung

So my hive has been taking the sugar water pretty good

its a small plastic one , about every 2 days Ill refill it

today I come home from work around 4:30 and see its empty
    so I slowly pulled it out real carefully and there were 10-12 bees on it licking the plastic ,
    Soon as It was clear form the hive bout 4 of them buzzed at me and one stung me on the finger

So I quickly scurried away. with the empty feeder
    Just made a batch and gonna replace it

just wondered what tactics you guys use?
    Maybe only switch it at dark?

its the plastic type that you remove the entire piece

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...ductinfo/422S/

Default Re: How do you refill a front entrance feeder without getting stung

I have a similar feeder inside my Top Bar Hive. I have not had anything close the experience you talk about. But it may be that you are approaching the front of the hive. I come on from the side and try not to cross in front of it, hoping not to spook them.

Yep from the side. Also, move slowly. It may sound funny but, I talk to them. They do seem to get used to me if I just stand to the side for a bit each day. And, remember wear light clothing (if I have dark clothes on I stand a bit farther away).

they don't ever bother me when I replace feeders, walk right up with jar in hand pull old jar and slide in new jar and narry a problem.

Maybe try a bit earlier when most of the foragers are away from the hive?

Be really deliberate in your movements and don't react if buzzed.

If it worries you make sure you have a veil and gloves on for the job then problem does not exist.
    Cheers
    Rob

maybe get another one and just slide the old one out and the new one in. Minimal disturbance. Leave the empty on the ground ouside the hive and in a few minutes the bees should be off of it.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

approach the hive from the back, move slowly around it to the front work slowly a bee may land on you but stay calm just step away from the hive and brush em off you, and refill your feeder. I always had bees check me out and land on me when i used an entrance feeder but i never got stung

Maybe I'm crazy, but I throw on my hat, veil, gloves, and long sleeved shirt. Takes 30 seconds and no worry about stings.

Best way to avoid stings with entrance feeders is to stop using them. Yeah I know, not the answer you are looking for, but of all the feeders out there, that's probably the one that causes robbing more than any other. No wonder the bees are touchy. I personally use mann lake hive top feeders. You can fill them up with out even facing the bees. and if you properly silicone down the screen you will have VERY minimal drowning's.

I'm using a 1 gal. jar in side the top deep right now separated by the inner cover between the deeps. The jar lays over most of the oval hole and bees feed in peace with no robbing issues. I always approach from the side and yes, I talk calmly to them as well. My daughter thinks I'm strange talking to bees, but they never bother me. I gently move them off the jar with either a brush or my finger. They never buzz me unless I move too quickly or make jerky motions. I even try to feed them off of my finger with some of the syrup on the tip of my finger. They sniff it, but none so far have started to lick it off my finger. Just the idea of hand feeding a bee is cool. Maybe I'm lucky and have some very calm bees. I've only been stung once by them and that was the first night I installed them.

Never been stung refilling a feeder, but then my bees are also so tame I never use a veil or any other gear when working them.

This is a joke right. So my answer is "carefully". Or at night when they are all sleeping.

I like the front feeders that screw on to a quart mason jar. That way I can see how much is being consumed without disturbing too much. I got extra feeders so I'll just mix up a new batch the night before and then in the morning before the bees wake up I quickly switch them out.

fyi, dont use a fashlight

When I feed my bees, I install the feeder directly on the inner cover. Remove the old empty feeder and install a new full one. My bees could care less.
    Slow, methodical movements is the key.

With the feeder empty, take it out of the hive and place on the ground a few inches from the hive, then leave it for awhile. Check back 30 minutes later, all the bees should have cleared off back to the hive and you should be able to refill your feeder (away from the hive) and re-install, good luck.